Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 250 PDS on an EQ6-R Pro for DSOs ?

2 hours ago, Spaced Out said:

Just wondering if anyone has tried using a Skywatcher 250 PDS mounted on an EQ6-R Pro for DSO astrophotography... I’d be interested to hear your experiences, daft idea, or achievable ?

Not sure if it helps, but I have a carbon tube Quattro 10", 27lb.

This was on a pier mounted CGEM- DX, claimed 50lb payload. and found that with an ST80 for guiding, and cameras, filter and focuser it was around 70% of payload.

Guiding was OK, but that thing is a sail and didn't like any gusts > mph 10, even worse on tripod.

end result, SWMBO got annoyed with me complaining and told me to get a better mount - CGX-L

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, iapa said:

Guiding was OK, but that thing is a sail and didn't like any gusts > mph 10, even worse on tripod.

Thanks for this, interesting. Yeah I figured a 250PDS is a huge wind sail and so that would limit the times I could use it anyway. The EQ6-R is on a pier in the garden, it's not shielded from wind as such but it does have a little protection when the wind blows from certain directions. 

Given a nice calm night, I'm wondering if the EQ6-R is up to the job, once a 250PDS is loaded up with cameras etc it won't be far off the stated payload capacity (20kg ?), this is why I was asking for other peoples experiences. I'm guessing it will need careful balancing. I've used a 200PDS on a HEQ5 in the past, close too the mounts payload capacity, sometimes it was ok but it didn't always work out well.

4 minutes ago, Spaced Out said:

Thanks for this, interesting. Yeah I figured a 250PDS is a huge wind sail and so that would limit the times I could use it anyway. The EQ6-R is on a pier in the garden, it's not shielded from wind as such but it does have a little protection when the wind blows from certain directions. 

Given a nice calm night, I'm wondering if the EQ6-R is up to the job, once a 250PDS is loaded up with cameras etc it won't be far off the stated payload capacity (20kg ?), this is why I was asking for other peoples experiences. I'm guessing it will need careful balancing. I've used a 200PDS on a HEQ5 in the past, close too the mounts payload capacity, sometimes it was ok but it didn't always work out well.

mine is in the north corner of the garden, about a yard and a half from the fine to right and left.

A clear, still, windless night it worked well.

My thought is that the carbon fibre is lighter than the other 10" models.

IF you have the 250PDS, the give it a shot, if it doesn't work for you upgrade the mount :) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iapa said:

My thought is that the carbon fibre is lighter than the other 10" models.

IF you have the 250PDS, the give it a shot, if it doesn't work for you upgrade the mount :) 

Only just bought the eq6-r recently, I have little money to spend on more gear tbh. 🙂

I don't have a 250PDS yet but I am thinking it might be a cost effective way of achieving greater focal length (if it will work OK with the mount).

I got the Quattro CF 10" as it was an exceptionally good deal from @Skipper Billy, before that I was using the 200PDS, similar focal length at 1000mm ( without correctors etc), which gave very good results.

The 10" is "faster at f4 because of the larger aperture.

6 hours ago, Spaced Out said:

your experiences

Hi

Yes. No problem. We restored an old 250p. It goes fine on an -even older- eq6. With the lighter pds and a modern eq6 you're in for a pleasant surprise.

You really do notice the speed of the thing. Try side by side with a 150mm;)

We'd still recommend however spreading the tube rings on a long losmandy plate, a rigid rail to tie the same along the top, uprated springs, sealing the mirror to the cell, a dew shield, a black shower cap and an oag. It sounds a lot, but it's only around an hour's job.

Cheers and HTHIMG_20200504_232300.thumb.jpg.761897b5acc5a730b1530f7fe23c418a.jpg

2005024403_3-13(copy).thumb.jpg.275d570a5ff8f5d54471be1212d41a69.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

If you haven't bought a 250 yet then maybe consider a 200 as it's a similar focal length, F5 and will be much more manageble on an EQ6 class mount. 

I hear what your saying. I had a 200PDS and it was fairly large so I only used it in calm conditions. Figured it'll be the same scenario with the 250PDS, so if the mount can take it I'd quite like to try it just for the extra 200mm. 🙂   

1 hour ago, alacant said:

Hi

Yes. No problem. We restored an old 250p. It goes fine on an -even older- eq6. With the lighter pds and a modern eq6 you're in for a pleasant surprise.

You really do notice the speed of the thing. Try side by side with a 150mm;)

We'd still recommend however spreading the tube rings on a long losmandy plate, a rigid rail to tie the same along the top, uprated springs, sealing the mirror to the cell, a dew shield, a black shower cap and an oag. It sounds a lot, but it's only around an hour's job.

Cheers and HTH

Thanks, useful info and reassuring ! 👍