SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron nexstar 8se set up help

Hi , I have bought myself a nexstar  8se couple of days ago . I have set it up but having difficulty in setting up the focus of the scop e

I powered the scope with dc adaptor and through 24 mm eye piece all I see is just white in the view finder of eyepiece. Again as suggested on the videos I tried turning the focus knob to very right where it feels stuck and then slowly turning anti-clockwise . Still I don’t see any thing through eyepiece I also turned it many turns to the left until it is stuck but at any point I couldn’t see anything in front of the scope .Appreciate any help on how to get started on this 

Thanks

Anu

Yes I am using the star diagonal 

land in terms of turning the knob should I first turned whole to the right abs then slowly started to move to left is this how it is meant to be some or other way round?

appreciate you advice 

It should not be dificult to get the 8 SE into focus if pointed at a suitable target. "White" suggests you are trying this in daylight. You need to find a high-contrast target such as distant tree branches against the sky, and then wind the focuser till it comes into focus. 

If you focus on a distant point of light at night and the focus is not too far out, you will see a bright disc or donut, which makes things much easier as you wind the focus knob in the direction which makes the disc smaller.

Take the eyepiece out and look through the diagonal (in the telescope) from a few inches away in daylight, and aim at something a hundred metres away or so. You should see a rough view of the distant object. It might not be in focus, but it will let you know you're in the right direction and aiming at something other than clouds. Then put your biggest (focal length) eyepiece in and have another go at focusing, all the way from one end to the other. It's a long boring drive! At some point you should get a rough focus that then can be sharpened by moving slower.

Don't have it tracking as that might move you off target.

Edited by Starwatcher2001
Clarified something

Thank guys for all your replies .  So I used 32 mm pointed to the object and then placed eyepiece from like 10 or 15 cm eye and the lens I can see the sharp image of the roof top inverted.however still I see like a black circle sort of dot  in middle of the image is that how it actually appears ? but if I move close to the lens that’s where I think it all goes white so I am assuming I need to position my eye a bit farther . And of course as on the replies I pointed the red dot on to the target.

so I am thinking now the scope is in focus 😀

Please can you suggest on eye position to the lens and about that black circle that’s in between?

Seeing the rooftop inverted strongly implies that you are not using the star diagonal. You should use it to avoid pointless neck-ache when observing the night sky.  Fitting the diagonal will give you an erect image (but reversed L-R) and require a significant refocusing.

37 minutes ago, Anuradha said:

.however still I see like a black circle sort of dot  in middle of the image is that how it actually appears ?

We have seen a number of newbies complain of this, particularly when using a low-power eyepiece. Needless to say, I have never had this problem with my telescopes, and avoiding it is probably a matter of getting used to using a telescope.

The image will be upside down as is the norm for an astronomical telescope and would only be the correct orientation if you have a prism diagonal as opposed to a mirror which by the sound of it you have.

The black spot you are seeing in the daytime is caused by the central obstruction on the front of your telescope. This will faintly show when using low magnification eyepiece like a 32 mm. Both these things are perfectly normal.