Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IR/UV cut filter

To answer this we need to know what camera it will be going on.

It may be your camera already has a filter (eg if you are using a DSLR).

Most ZWO cameras do not have any filter out of the box , just an anti reflection glass window (AR glass).

In this case a IR/UV can be an advantage depending on the target.

1 hour ago, PatrickO said:

How much difference does an IR/UV cut filter make for lunar and planetary imaging?

Also is the ZWO one worth almost twice the price of the Svbony one?

Thanks

colour cam will need a IR UV Cut. Svbony will be similar. So probably not. But depends on your level. Some might want to get the best. Which probably isnt ZWO Either. I would prefer Baader

Edited by neil phillips

On 03/03/2022 at 11:12, fifeskies said:

To answer this we need to know what camera it will be going on.

It may be your camera already has a filter (eg if you are using a DSLR).

Most ZWO cameras do not have any filter out of the box , just an anti reflection glass window (AR glass).

In this case a IR/UV can be an advantage depending on the target.

It's a ZWO ASI224MC

On 03/03/2022 at 11:28, neil phillips said:

colour cam will need a IR UV Cut. Svbony will be similar. So probably not. But depends on your level. Some might want to get the best. Which probably isnt ZWO Either. I would prefer Baader

Are the Baader filters noticeably better?

ZWO ASI224MC would need a IR/UV filter as that camera is sensitive to IR, though could look at a IR filter to capture just IR if say on the Moon. Whether you would notice on the Moon if the surface resolves well without an UV/IR filter I do not know, but my IR sensitive camera does not resolve stars to well as too many light wavelengths get through to focus well.

• Like 1

So, I bought a zwo from @AstroNebulee  as I'd been using an svbony one. I have to say, so far I'd say I don't see a difference in the subs. I think maybe it comes down to consistency? Maybe you can get luck with an svbony, but more consistency with a zwo or better? But tbh uvir blockers are so common tech I wonder if it is more of a commodity?  Unlike nb where its a different kettle of fish.

So Yeh yer 224 (I have one) needs one. But I've taken nice shots of jupiter and saturn through my svbony with it and they've been great. So imho id get the svbony.

• Like 2