SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC 1848, The Soul Nebula - SHO

Taman

Emission nebula in Cassiopeia about 7,500 light years away.

I previously posted this as a bi-colour image and have now added more data to produce a modified Hubble Palette version of this beautiful nebula. This is the most ambitious image I've done so far. It was originally intended to be a quick first light test of my new FLT91 but it's gone a lot further. I think the test was a success, can't wait to do another one! 

Imaged over 5 nights, Jan / Feb.

Ha - 86 x 360s
Oiii - 57 x 360s + 13 x 600s
Sii - 36 x 600s

Total exposure time, 22h 28m.

Processed with DeepSkyStacker, SiriL, Starnet++ and Photoshop.

William Optics FLT91, ZWO ASI294MM Pro.

CS, Tony.

IC1848.jpg

• Like 18

• 9 months later...
On 02/03/2022 at 11:48, Taman said:

Emission nebula in Cassiopeia about 7,500 light years away.

I previously posted this as a bi-colour image and have now added more data to produce a modified Hubble Palette version of this beautiful nebula. This is the most ambitious image I've done so far. It was originally intended to be a quick first light test of my new FLT91 but it's gone a lot further. I think the test was a success, can't wait to do another one! 

Imaged over 5 nights, Jan / Feb.

Ha - 86 x 360s
Oiii - 57 x 360s + 13 x 600s
Sii - 36 x 600s

Total exposure time, 22h 28m.

Processed with DeepSkyStacker, SiriL, Starnet++ and Photoshop.

William Optics FLT91, ZWO ASI294MM Pro.

CS, Tony.

IC1848.jpg

Absolutely incredible work! One day I too hope to be good enough to produce work as good as this! Well Done! may I ask, how much experience have you with DSO imaging ? I'm a relative newbie to astrophotography, and a 4-5 year visual observer.

Wes, Liverpool, UK.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

Absolutely incredible work! One day I too hope to be good enough to produce work as good as this! Well Done! may I ask, how much experience have you with DSO imaging ? I'm a relative newbie to astrophotography, and a 4-5 year visual observer.

Wes, Liverpool, UK.

Thanks Wes, I love comments like that! 😀

I've got over 40 years visual and about 3 years imaging so far. It took many hours of processing to produce this image.

There's lots of information on this forum and also on YouTube, all you need to decide is which software to use. I use Siril and Photoshop in my workflow.

Remember to keep all your old data because you'll be reprocessing it in a couple of years time!

CS, Tony.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Taman said:

Thanks Wes, I love comments like that! 😀

I've got over 40 years visual and about 3 years imaging so far. It took many hours of processing to produce this image.

There's lots of information on this forum and also on YouTube, all you need to decide is which software to use. I use Siril and Photoshop in my workflow.

Remember to keep all your old data because you'll be reprocessing it in a couple of years time!

CS, Tony.

Hi again tony! Wow! So you been in visual astronomy all that time! Amazing! And you have sooo far in just 3 years of practicing astro-imaging Tony! Amazing! I'm 42, and as mentioned I have done visual only 4-5yrs, and astro-imaging for about 5 months! I managed a Jupiter image to begin with ( that was hard work too! still lots to learn with planetary but i'm doing ok so far! ) then started trying stars/nebs etc, and got my first ever proper stacked widefield Cassiopeia image a couple days ago. I was beyond excited, happy and relieved after struggling massively with computer software! I'm now starting to get the basics correct so fingers crossed I'll be posting more, hopefully improved astro-images in coming weeks and months. 

Sorry for such long msg Tony! I get carried away! LOL. 

Clear Skies and look forward to seeing your work and posting my own very soon!

Wes.

2 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

Hi again tony! Wow! So you been in visual astronomy all that time! Amazing! And you have sooo far in just 3 years of practicing astro-imaging Tony! Amazing! I'm 42, and as mentioned I have done visual only 4-5yrs, and astro-imaging for about 5 months! I managed a Jupiter image to begin with ( that was hard work too! still lots to learn with planetary but i'm doing ok so far! ) then started trying stars/nebs etc, and got my first ever proper stacked widefield Cassiopeia image a couple days ago. I was beyond excited, happy and relieved after struggling massively with computer software! I'm now starting to get the basics correct so fingers crossed I'll be posting more, hopefully improved astro-images in coming weeks and months. 

Sorry for such long msg Tony! I get carried away! LOL. 

Clear Skies and look forward to seeing your work and posting my own very soon!

Wes.

Hi Wes, don't be sorry, there's lots to be carried away by with this hobby!

My first image was M31 and it was awful, but I was really proud of it! The only slight negative for me is that I rarely do visual now, as the camera is set up most of the time. I think I need a 2nd observatory! 😀

Clear Skies!

Tony.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Taman said:

Hi Wes, don't be sorry, there's lots to be carried away by with this hobby!

My first image was M31 and it was awful, but I was really proud of it! The only slight negative for me is that I rarely do visual now, as the camera is set up most of the time. I think I need a 2nd observatory! 😀

Clear Skies!

Tony.

Aww thanks Tony! LOL my attempt at M31 a couple weeks ago ended in disaster because I messed up my polar alignment! ( again! LOL ) I didn't mind though, I was just so happy to see her there on the DSLR camera screen after my first sub! Incredible! 

My goodness I have found that to be the case with me too, hardly doing any visual because I am so obsessed with imaging now! I think we could both do with a second observatory! ( or in my case, just one because I don't have one yet! LOL ). 

Clear Skies!

Wes.