Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Zodiacal Light above Upper Swaledale

Sunday evening.  Was a 'test' of pano skillz as I was dismayed at the star shapes on the 14mm Samyang.  A strong breeze had some impact. 

Canon 6D MkII and Sigma 24mm on Nodal Ninja pano mount. 4 x 4 stacks at 8s, f2.5 and iso1600. LR, Sequator, MS ICE and PS.

Hope to revisit.  Cheers,  Paul.

IMG_7530 stack 01_stitch 4K.jpg

Edited by clarkpm4242
  • Like 14

Nice to see Andromeda sneaking in on the right!.

Panning on a tracking mount sounds tricky, or were your short 8 sec subs on a fixed mount!? I guess you have to take all of the separate sections fairly quickly due to the sky rotation which probably lessons the details you can capture?.

Edited by Rustang

@Rustang  Hi, all on a static mount.  The pano mount can be set/indexed to give a specific number of degrees alt or az pan.  It is also set to rotate around the entrance pupil of the lens to avoid parallax issues with near objects.

Took 4 x 8s, move manually to next position and repeat.

Stack each set in Sequator with freeze ground option then throw into MS Image Composite Editor to create pano.

Tracked, stacked and stitched panoramas are tricky and you'll probably need to do a Sky Replacement with a static imaged foreground.   Paul.

Edited by clarkpm4242
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, clarkpm4242 said:

@Rustang  Hi, all on a static mount.  The pano mount can be set/indexed to give a specific number of degrees alt or az pan.  It is also set to rotate around the entrance pupil of the lens to avoid parallax issues with near objects.

Took 4 x 8s, move manually to next position and repeat.

Stack each set in Sequator with freeze ground option then throw into MS Image Composite Editor to create pano.

Tracked, stacked and stitched panoramas are tricky and you'll probably need to do a Sky Replacement with a static imaged foreground.   Paul.

I see, maybe one day Il play around with it all 👍

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Rustang said:

I see, maybe one day Il play around with it all 👍

I have to say that software stack works very well and is within the capabilities of simpletons like me.

2 hours ago, clarkpm4242 said:

I was dismayed at the star shapes on the 14mm Samyang. 

Thta's disappointing, Paul.  I have to say my 14mm has been a joy - fantastic stars throughout, whereas my 24mm is very prone to CA.  Quite a lot of lens distortion on the 14m  though, and it doesn't like being used in panos!

• Like 2