Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEQ6 Pro Random slewing

smudgeball

Hi all

I've currently got an issue with my NEQ6 Pro and wonder if anyone has seen this before?

My setup is permanent with the mount on a pier.

I connect via a usb3.0 powered hub using a Lynx astro eqdir cable to a desktop PC.

Mount has been running fine for many years but a couple of weeks ago I left an imaging session running and returned to my obsy to find the mount had randomly continued in RA.

I have done the Rowan belt mod so the belts were slipping with my telescope jammed against the front latitude bolt !!

As a precaution I've replaced the belts, however the mount still has the previous issue.

I will connect to the mount and it will be fine for a few minutes but will then start to move in RA with no input from me ???

It keeps going so I end up having to hit the STOP button on the EQMOD control panel.

The rotation is always "opposite to sidereal" if that makes sense.

I'm probably going to try some fault finding by replacing EQDir with the handset for starters but wondered if anyone had experienced this behaviour before ?

Thanks

Neil

Edited by smudgeball
spelling

• smudgeball changed the title to NEQ6 Pro Random slewing

Hi Neil

14 hours ago, smudgeball said:

So the mount is actually slewing eastward, rather than RA just stopping.

Might be an intermittent slew button.

Try exercising them a few times.

In the menus reverse which way the left/right slew buttons move the mount, and see if it then intermittently goes westward !

Random slews can be caused by power supply problems.

Michael

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply

I'm running all eqdir so input is onscreen so to speak.

But yes it slews to the East and just keeps going until I stop it.

Not straight away and if I slew to a target it will stay there for a bit and then just start up and slew.

Always what I would call full speed or "4" in the eqmod panel.

Certainly not behaved like this in the past.

I think trying with handset will be a good test.

I'll update if I find anything.

Thanks

Regards

Neil

I'd get rid of the hub. eqdir is a terrible protocol from the 90s. why it's still being used is a mystery to me - but my bet would be the hub isn't handing it well anymore for reasons unknown.

I've got 2 EQ6s - fine mounts.. with a serial port on them (well one maskerading as a usb) using technology from last century. does my head in that astro stuff is so backwards.

hope u fix it.

Well as an update, I've tried it with the handset with no issues and have now changed over to GSS. So far so good. Fingers crossed for weather tonight to see how it goes? 

To fill in the gaps above, I run the mount off a Nevada PS-08 6-8A Regulated Linear Power Supply and connect with a Lynx Astro silicon power cable. 

Neil

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2022 at 21:00, smudgeball said:

Hi all

I've currently got an issue with my NEQ6 Pro and wonder if anyone has seen this before?

My setup is permanent with the mount on a pier.

I connect via a usb3.0 powered hub using a Lynx astro eqdir cable to a desktop PC.

Mount has been running fine for many years but a couple of weeks ago I left an imaging session running and returned to my obsy to find the mount had randomly continued in RA.

I have done the Rowan belt mod so the belts were slipping with my telescope jammed against the front latitude bolt !!

As a precaution I've replaced the belts, however the mount still has the previous issue.

I will connect to the mount and it will be fine for a few minutes but will then start to move in RA with no input from me ???

It keeps going so I end up having to hit the STOP button on the EQMOD control panel.

I'm probably going to try some fault finding by replacing EQDir with the handset for starters but wondered if anyone had experienced this behaviour before ?

Thanks

Neil

I've had a similar problem in the past and it only happened when I had a gamepad attached to the usb hub, even when trying a different gamepad. I don't get any problems at all when no gamepad is connected so I don't use one now.

• Like 1

On 16/03/2022 at 13:05, Mikey0368 said:

I've had a similar problem in the past and it only happened when I had a gamepad attached to the usb hub, even when trying a different gamepad. I don't get any problems at all when no gamepad is connected so I don't use one now.

Hi, thanks

Do you know I was thinking about that as I have a VERY cheap gamepad out in my obsy and potentially damp/corroded contacts?

But I have since bought a mini pc and mounted it on the pier with just two usb cables going direct to it.

Not had a single issue since.

I'm sticking with Green Swamp Server instead of eqmod as I prefer the user interface.

I still use the PC in the obsy but just use a remote session to the mini pc instead.

Thanks for all the input

Regards

Neil