SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Recommendations for a day out - willing to travel 2 hour drive from Essex

Jonny_H

Hi all,

A friend and I are thinking of going to the National Space Centre in Leicester in a few weeks, but I am a little sceptical about it having read a few reviews stating that it is really for kids and not adults.

I know you should take online reviews with a pinch of salt but I thought I would ask on here to get views as it is isn't a short drive for me.

Else - any other recommendations?

Thanks,

Jon

Edited by Jonny_H

I went a good few years ago and at the time felt it was definitely aimed at children. Lots of the interactive exhibits had been “child handled” and weren’t working. It was still interesting but I wouldn’t recommend travelling a great distance if you don’t have kids. 

40 minutes ago, IB20 said:

I went a good few years ago and at the time felt it was definitely aimed at children. Lots of the interactive exhibits had been “child handled” and weren’t working. It was still interesting but I wouldn’t recommend travelling a great distance if you don’t have kids. 

Thanks @IB20

I do have two 5 year old boys & my mate has 3 kids - but we haven't seen one another for about a year and to be honest it will be nice to be child-free for the day 😊

Interesting to hear peoples views on it though.

• Like 1

• Jonny_H changed the title to Recommendations for a day out - willing to travel 2 hour drive from Essex
2 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

Does it have to be space-related? If not, ditch the car, take the train into London and go see HMS Belfast.

It's easily my favourite 'tourist attraction', and you can have a few drinkies afterwards for catching up.

Hi Roy,

We both have an interest in Astronomy/Space hence asking on here initially about the Leicester Space Centre.

3 minutes ago, IanC11 said:

Jump on a train and visit Greenwich Observatory. Always something going on there.

I did look into this but apparently it is closed to visitors at present - they seem to be refurbing and/or building a new attraction..... or something along those lines.

1 hour ago, Jonny_H said:

Hi Roy,

We both have an interest in Astronomy/Space hence asking on here initially about the Leicester Space Centre.

Fair enough. Mill Hill Observatory do tours, but possibly only in the evening. Well worth it though.