Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Did anyone see a flash between ursa major and leo tonight? Between half 7 and half 8?

pipnina

I was setting up my scope to image the leo triplet and while talking to my brother I turn to the sky and see what looked like a mag -2 star like brightness, as if it were a planet like Jupiter or venus, pure white in colour. I thought it was odd at first and when I continued to look at it it started to fade, and within 10 or so seconds it was barely visible, a few seconds more and there was nothing to see.

It didn't seem to be moving, so it seems less likely to be a meteor or satellite, unless it was maybe a geostationary one? Are there any kinds of supernovae that are so flash-in-the-pan that they can be so easy to miss if one isn't looking? It would be very unlikely, but exiting to think about.

Wondering if anyone else looking up tonight may have seen it too? I'm down in Plymouth.

Edit: A screenshot showing the area I think I saw it in (I selected the closest star to the event I saw)Screenshot_20220226_234512.thumb.png.89d65f14a5bde6b92c00703bcb9e7af7.png

Edited by pipnina

Initially when you said "flash", I thought it could be a head on meteor entering the atmosphere, but it seems what you saw was longer lasting. Possibly a satellite catching the Sun as it rotates, and may be then going into the earth shadow where it becomes lost. 

• Like 1