SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What galaxy is this?

StuartT

I'd highly recommend the free stacking and photometry software ASTAP.

Not only does it stack images really well and quickly, it will plate solve and label your image with details such as asteroids, comets, magnitudes, deep sky objects.

Here's your image with all the DSOs labelled. Yours is a lovely image!

51907867245_b2e77e5917_o.jpg

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, lukebl said:

I'd highly recommend the free stacking and photometry software ASTAP.

Not only does it stack images really well and quickly, it will plate solve and label your image with details such as asteroids, comets, magnitudes, deep sky objects.

Here's your image with all the DSOs labelled. Yours is a lovely image!

51907867245_b2e77e5917_o.jpg

Interesting. Thanks. 

I have ASTAP (it's my blind solver in NINA), but I've never tried stacking with it. I always use APP or Siril

Can I just check my calculation of the distance of this galaxy?

I understand that the distance of a galaxy (which is outside the local group) is

d = cz/H

where d is the distance in Mpc; c is the speed of light in km/s; z is the redshift and H is the Hubble constant (70 km/s)

According to Simbad UGC4526 has a redshift of 0.0147 so I make the distance to be 0.063 Mpc (or about 205 million light years) 

43 minutes ago, StuartT said:

Can I just check my calculation of the distance of this galaxy?

I understand that the distance of a galaxy (which is outside the local group) is

d = cz/H

where d is the distance in Mpc; c is the speed of light in km/s; z is the redshift and H is the Hubble constant (70 km/s)

According to Simbad UGC4526 has a redshift of 0.0147 so I make the distance to be 0.063 Mpc (or about 205 million light years) 

That seems consistent with SkySafari which has it at 207 million light years. Nice catch 👍

26C2377E-ED84-45A8-A610-FC8DBF66A157.png

• Thanks 1

Just now, StuartT said:

300 (to keep the units in km/s)

The bit that confused me is that SkySafari says 63 Mpc but the calculation comes out at 0.063 Mpc and the distance in light years agrees. Not sure what’s happened there.

18 minutes ago, StuartT said:

300 (to keep the units in km/s)

16 minutes ago, Stu said:

The bit that confused me is that SkySafari says 63 Mpc but the calculation comes out at 0.063 Mpc and the distance in light years agrees. Not sure what’s happened there.

300,000 should address both these things 🙂

26 minutes ago, Stu said:

apologies. I mistyped. I used the speed of light in km/s which is 300,000, not 300 as I said.

• Like 1