SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stacked Filter Wheels - has anyone else tried this?

I've posted about this already in "What did the postman bring?" and haven't had any response, so I'm posting a new thread here as I'm interested to hear whether others have tried stacking filter wheels or whether people think I've gone over the top!

P1060247.thumb.JPG.e212cc3bfdc4c72eaadff91c49b51f9e.JPG

Having recently bought another three Baader colour filters for lunar and planetary observing, I now have way more than a single filter wheel can take. Previously I had the Baader Neodymium filter as a default, but I really want to have a "no filter" position, and to have all of my filters to hand in the filter wheel. My thinking is that filters don't get used if you have to screw them in to the eyepiece, and it's only when they can be easily switched in and out via a filter wheel that I'm likely to give  them a try.

Stacking the two filter wheels gives me a "no filter" option (position 1 for both wheels) plus space for another 8 filters (4 in each wheel), and the possibility of stacking filters, one from each wheel. I've fitted the Neodymium, UHC, ND0.9 and Yellow filters to the lower wheel and just colour filters (light blue, green, orange, red) to the upper wheel. My thinking is that I may want to stack the Neodymium and perhaps the ND0.9 filters with a colour filter. I will mostly use the lower wheel so the yellow filter, which is my most used colour filter (for lunar), is fitted to this and the upper wheel is just extra colour filters for when the planets re-emerge.

I used a ZWO T2 male to male adapter to stack the two filter wheels plus some DIY black paper washes to get them aligned (it took ages to get it just right, I had to sand away some of the paper to get the right thickness!).

Has anyone else stacked filter wheel like this? It seems to be working fine judging by yesterday evenings session, and I can still (just) achieve focus with the APO (there are never any problems achieving focus with the MAK).

I have a couple of 5 position filter wheels but I haven't stacked stack them before.

If I use them I swap them depending on what I'm doing, usually one wheel is  for deep sky filters... LP, UHC, OIII and Hb and the other being planetary so polarising, ND, and some colour filters.

• Like 1