SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Manual Focusing in Ekos

Daf1983

I had my first light with the ASI 533 last night since moving from a dslr. Everything ran smoothly, but I had trouble focusing.

I'm used to focusing with a bahtinov mask and using the live view on the dslr, but this is obviously not an option anymore.

I tried to loop 2/3 second exposures in the CCD tab, and this worked to an extent with the bahtinov mask. 

I was just wondering, is there a better way of focusing in ekos, without the use of an autofocuser?

I've only just got the 533 so I practiced focussing my Samyang 135mm with it using "live view" in Sharpcap with a Bahtinov. I think I'll do that to get focus first before firing up Ekos. I intend getting the AsiAir anyway as I a bit fed up with Ekos.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, alacant said:

?

Doesn't the live stream on the capture tab work?

HTH

I did try this briefly, but found that the diffraction spikes weren't very clear. I was using the l-enhance, so maybe that made the image to dim in live view?

20 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

I've only just got the 533 so I practiced focussing my Samyang 135mm with it using "live view" in Sharpcap with a Bahtinov. I think I'll do that to get focus first before firing up Ekos. I intend getting the AsiAir anyway as I a bit fed up with Ekos.

Thanks, I will give this a go tonight

Or you can use the Focus module's HFR reading to quantitate just how good your focus is. Unlike with a Bahtinov, you can't see directly how far you are from best focus, but you can pay heed to the numbers and just make them small. If you're reasonably consistent in how much you move the focus knob each time, you can pretend you're an autofocuser and seek the bottom of the "V" shape the HFR measurements make on the graph.

• Thanks 1