SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Scopetech Mount Zero

Dogstar45

I assume this threaded hole just below the azimuth knob is for a handle similar to those found on camera tripod mounts. Page 25 of the manual points this feature out as a M8 thread. If that is what it's for, has anyone added this to their mount and if so would you tell me where you found the handle? Thank you.

WIN_20220224_15_54_22_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

Hello

My guess is it's an attachment point for a tripod strap or sling like a lot of Manfrotto (an others probably) do?

I do have a quick question for you if I may? I tried the Mount Zero last year, both samples had to be returned to FLO (they were very good about a return as always!). On one sample the azimuth slo-mo was unworkably stiff, the next one the azimuth was in the sweet spot but the altitude had a "fault".  In my long winded way, I was just wondering how have you got on with the mount? have you experienced any issues with the slo-mo or movement of the axes in general?

Many thanks

Mark

Edited by TrashPanda
  • Like 1

On 27/02/2022 at 11:01, TrashPanda said:

Hello

My guess is it's an attachment point for a tripod strap or sling like a lot of Manfrotto (an others probably) do?

I do have a quick question for you if I may? I tried the Mount Zero last year, both samples had to be returned to FLO (they were very good about a return as always!). On one sample the azimuth slo-mo was unworkably stiff, the next one the azimuth was in the sweet spot but the altitude had a "fault".  In my long winded way, I was just wondering how have you got on with the mount? have you experienced any issues with the slo-mo or movement of the axes in general?

Many thanks

Mark

I would be interested to know the same.

I want to like these mounts, but they are stupidly expensive for what they are and every time I read something new about them it's never good, one (or both) of the slow mos are too stiff or someones just sent another one back to the supplier. 

Edited by Carl Au

No idea about the threaded hole but would be interested to find out.

It's a shame a few have reported issues. Yes it is expensive and you do expect it to work as detailed out of the box. I did have to loosen the nuts slightly, maybe a minute to do and honestly never adjusted since. I use scopes of various length and weight and very pleased with it. 

Edited by Dean Hale
a little spelling error. no doubt a few more

5 hours ago, Carl Au said:

I would be interested to know the same.

I want to like these mounts, but they are stupidly expensive for what they are and every time I read something new about them it's never good, one (or both) of the slow mos are too stiff or someones just sent another one back to the supplier. 

Au contraire. Love my ScopeTech Zero. Not had a problem. 

• Like 3

My first (I had one of the very early batch in Summer 2020), did had an alt axis that locked solid, but it was replaced and I’ve been using that as my grab and go mount, with new issues whatsoever ever since 👍

Great, lightweight and reliable mount 😀

• Like 3

I bought one used and its excellent, I use both my 80 and 102 refractors with it and a PST.  It's always worked  perfectly, I love it.  I've used many altaz mounts over the years, and consider it to one of the best .  It would have been a bit pricey for me new (as a poor pensioner ☺️) which is why I snapped up the used one when it was advertised.   Its well made and a good mount and I would consider it good value if the money isn't a problem.

I have read  about other people's 'problems', though personaly I think those indicating the two nuts on the axis needing adjusting as being a minor thing.  Personally, I wouldn't consider this as a problem, many pieces of new kit arrive needing  some minor adjustment.

Some pieces of new kit, as reported on SGL, arrive  needing what I consider to be unacceptable changes to be made   and think this is OK - even occasionally  if it needs engineering skills and a workshop to do it!  Now, that is a problem.  

If something is actually faulty with the item, and it's been supplied by FLO or any other reliable supplier, there's no worry about getting a refund or a replacement anyway.

• Like 3

Hello all, thank you very much for the feedback, very much appreciated. I was brought up on the idea that an item should work correctly "out of the box". My late father was a metallurgist and engineer (ND-YAG industrial lasers, that sort of level) and he didn't mess around if something wasn't right. Time for some thinking and a bit more patience perhaps if I do decide to dip my toe into the Zero again. It's a perfect set-up for use with the FOA-60 & Q so I really do want it to work out. I'm not averse to tinkering, I've stripped down a couple of CG-5 mounts in my time - and they really did need a bit of attention!

Thanks again.

Mark

Edited by TrashPanda
  • Like 1

I'm considering a Zero for my new 102ED f/7, weight about 10 pounds, maybe a tad over.  Thoughts / experiences on whether a Zero could handle it well?  My AZ5 is seemingly at its limit with the 102 and I prefer something lighter than a SkyTee.  Thanks!

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jjohnson3803 said:

I'm considering a Zero for my new 102ED f/7, weight about 10 pounds, maybe a tad over.  Thoughts / experiences on whether a Zero could handle it well?  My AZ5 is seemingly at its limit with the 102 and I prefer something lighter than a SkyTee.  Thanks!

One of the scopes I use mine with is the Tecnosky 102ED F7, and it works very well, MUCH more steady than the AZ5, (which I've also had) and much better engineered. 

The Mount Zero axis knobs  are much easier to use than the small 'screws' on the AZ5.  You hardly have to tension the knobs once the scope is balanced on the mount, and it's then easy to push the scope into place or use the slow motions fior the rest of your session without touching the knobs again.  

I don't know where you live, but if you can get to Oakworth, West Yorkshire you'd be welcome to come and try it for yourself.

20220129_225915.thumb.jpg.e2562d2aa26aa02bc8f3b3c054f775b4.jpg

20210908_101311.thumb.jpg.fd502fa92bf3461b6b4f253c0ea0ccf2.jpg

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, paulastro said:

One of the scopes I use mine with is the Tecnosky 102ED F7, and it works very well, MUCH more steady than the AZ5, (which I've also had) and much better engineered. 

I don't know where you live, but if you can get to Oakworth, West Yorkshire you'd be welcome to come and try it for yourself.

Thanks for the invitation, but I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic.  Closest I've been to Yorkshire is Dublin and that was several years ago.  😁

I suspect my 102 is very similar to or the same scope as your Tecnosky, so good to know!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjohnson3803 said:

Thanks for the invitation, but I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic.  Closest I've been to Yorkshire is Dublin and that was several years ago.  😁

I suspect my 102 is very similar to or the same scope as your Tecnosky, so good to know!

Youre welcome.  Yes, that is a bit far to pop across and try it out 😂.

• Like 2

Hello again all, I've just remembered! and I have a follow up question please? The last one I tried with the "fault" on the ALT axis. The problem I had was that the motion on this axis was incredibly stiff - very difficult to move by hand, using pressure on the dovetail. I remember thinking that it may just need a bit of movement to free it up. As I began this, rotating it only one way, I can't remember whether it was clockwise or the other, the entire ALT unit began to back out so that I could see the ball bearings in the mechanism. Did I do something daft and only turn it the one way and this should be expected? or was this a genuine fault with the one I had? Sorry to bang on about this but I am really keen to try one out again!

Many thanks, Mark

20 minutes ago, TrashPanda said:

Hello again all, I've just remembered! and I have a follow up question please? The last one I tried with the "fault" on the ALT axis. The problem I had was that the motion on this axis was incredibly stiff - very difficult to move by hand, using pressure on the dovetail. I remember thinking that it may just need a bit of movement to free it up. As I began this, rotating it only one way, I can't remember whether it was clockwise or the other, the entire ALT unit began to back out so that I could see the ball bearings in the mechanism. Did I do something daft and only turn it the one way and this should be expected? or was this a genuine fault with the one I had? Sorry to bang on about this but I am really keen to try one out again!

Many thanks, Mark

That sounds like a daily to me. I did have to adjust the one I’ve got, but it works very well now, smooth movement in both axes. It certainly doesn’t fall apart as you’ve described! 😱🤣

• Like 1

Hello Stu, thanks! - I didn't think it should do that. The gap could be closed up again using the ALT clutch but then if I continued the rotation of the dovetail (same direction as before) it would back out again 🤨

I do have your original thread bookmarked for reference - thanks!

I think once I've heard about a new work contract (I hope!) I may be making another purchase.

Thanks again to all.

Best, Mark

• 2 months later...

Has anybody tried (successfully or not) to mount encoders on a Zero?  I'm using my Wixey and a DIY az circle, which work ok, but I think I prefer the accuracy of encoders.  (I had 8K AstroDevices on my Twilight-1 and they worked well.)  Thanks.