Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader 2-1.25" Clicklock reducer

cajen2

Just bought this to replace the stock reducer on my StellaLyra 8" dob. Why? Well, I'm sure many of you have the same problem as me. I find my target, carefully centre it in the FOV, then try to change eyepieces. The undercuts on the EPs immediately hang up on the compression ring and pull the scope off target. This has been driving me insane! I decided to get the Baader Clicklock, which is stupidly expensive but.....I've just tested it and it does the job perfectly, even on my Pentax XWs, which were my worst offenders.

This might just prevent me from having a frustration-induced heart attack!

IMG_20220224_111710.thumb.jpg.10329d184f20dae5dfa7970e4251c764.jpg

• Like 2

I have one too - but I have a different problem.

The 2" eyepiece holder on the Bresser dob is a 3-screw compression ring, but it has difficulty gripping the sloping sides of the Baader reducer. I have to really tighten it up hard, to avoid the whole body of the Baader converter turning when I'm locking or unlocking it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Pixies said:

The 2" eyepiece holder on the Bresser dob is a 3-screw compression ring, but it has difficulty gripping the sloping sides of the Baader reducer. I have to really tighten it up hard, to avoid the whole body of the Baader converter turning when I'm locking or unlocking it.

Really? The SL has a 2-screw ring and seems to have no problem gripping the Baader. At last - a problem I haven't got!

I have found this to be almost unusable in cold weather = almost all the time for me.

The action freezes/gets sticky easily and it gets difficult to operate. If i try to use it with one hand it just loosens itself from its threaded connection to my coma corrector. I have to grab the body with my left hand and then unlock the clicklock lever with my right to use it. I just went back to a simple 1 screw compression ring adapter from TS.

Not recommended for folks who live in winter countries (-5 or colder maybe). Works well when warm though.

I had 2 Baader 2"/1.25" adapters at one stage, but sold them both. I discovered that with a 1.25" (Glatter) laser fitted (which has no undercuts) every time I released and re-locked the adapter the laser was pointing to a slightly different place. I tried the same on other makes of adapter as well, plus other units with built-in compression rings. I found the same behaviour on all my compression-rings, and have since removed the brass ring on everything and now where possible only use direct-contact grubscrews, and now never have that problem.

Well, I've just been out with it and it's a vast improvement on the SL EP holder. Eyepieces slip into and out of it smoothly without ever hanging. The only movement of the scope is that which I create myself, through clumsiness! 😄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pixies said:

The solution to that is to buy the 2" Clicklock as well. 🙂 

4 hours ago, cajen2 said:

Is anyone else using a Clicklock and if so, how do you find it?

I think they're excellent, and would happily fit them to any scope. 

5 hours ago, cajen2 said:

Absolutely brilliant.  I have tried other types over the years  and I would not use anything else now.

I use 2" and 2" to 1.25" BTW...:smiley:

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, cajen2 said:

1) it's not adjustable and doesn't grab some slightly undersized eyepieces well and there is no way to tighten it.

2) it still binds with a thin brass split ring, not a long collet, and it can get hung up on some undercuts.

16 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

2) it still binds with a thin brass split ring, not a long collet, and it can get hung up on some undercuts.

..another good reason for manufacturers to abolish undercuts from all their eyepieces!🙂

Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Don Pensack said:

1) it's not adjustable and doesn't grab some slightly undersized eyepieces well and there is no way to tighten it.

Ah, experiences differ, I see. All I can say is that it's worked really well for me. My Pentaxes have the most savage undercuts of any of my EPs, and they slid into and out of the Baader with no problem at all.

The brass split ring is placed low in the adapter.  It's possible it grabs on the 1.25" barrel on some eyepieces.

But if it grabs the lip and tilts slightly, it can cause problems with removal.  Some of my customers have had this problem.

I do like the fact the adapter is threaded for 2" filters, and can even act as a camera adapter for cameras with a 1.25" tube by threading directly to a t-thread below it.

It's got some nice features.

But the ring that grabs the eyepiece should have been 15-20mm long, like some Twist-Lock adapters.

I've tried the Clicklock and a couple of similar products, and found them all somewhat stiff.  But then I have problems with my hands.

Having bought a Glatter Paralliser as part of my collimation kit I found it very easy to use.  So I now use it as an adapter as well.  Its single slanted screw automatically puts the eyepiece parallel with the focuser tube.

I'm fairly sure it's also threaded to accept 2 inch filters, although I haven't tried this.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

… Having bought a Glatter Paralliser as part of my collimation kit I found it very easy to use.  So I now use it as an adapter as well.  Its single slanted screw automatically puts the eyepiece parallel with the focuser tube.

I'm fairly sure it's also threaded to accept 2 inch filters, although I haven't tried this.

I’ve just checked and yes the Parallizer is threaded for 2” filters. I also use mine now exclusively as my 2”-1.25” reducer. Ingenious and so simple design.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

I've tried the Clicklock and a couple of similar products, and found them all somewhat stiff. 

It was certainly stiffer than I expected (ooer missus!). I'm off to a star party in April, so I'm interested to see whether mine is normal compared to others.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...