Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Optics 14 inch Dobsonian mirror issue....

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

For the bad news, Google Orion Optics UK customer service.

For the good news, look through the scope, not at it.  Such blemishes will have no effect on the view whatever.  If the figure of the mirror is as they say then the views will be excellent.

Olly

Well I did all my research before purchase and weighed up all the pros and cons, so I'm well aware of some issues people have had in the past.  However, having dealt with them now for a number of months I have found them perfectly fine.  They were quick to answer all my queries, they helped set up the scope how I wanted it, offered advice.  When I picked up the scope they were friendly and told me to get back to them with any problems and issues and they have agreed to give my scope another once over.  I am therefore completely happy with the customer service of Orion Optics.  So I don't know if these are historic issues or if some people have just been a bit unlucky, but I do sense a touch of cancel culture in respect of OO from some people......a number of people on another astronomy forum actively slagging them off even though they themselves have never dealt with them.

I prefer to judge people and businesses from my personal experiences rather than hearsay from the internet.  You'll always have issues highlighted online, but you never hear about the thousands of other customers who received the service they expected but didn't see the need to post as such.

All I need to work out is how to collimate this damn thing and why the cap and sight tube are so different!

Thanks all

Nic

• Like 3

I found collimation confusing initially, and read several descriptions, and it wasnt until I understood how the secondary was mechanically built that I understood how to adjust it (Skywatcher 250px).  One of the most helpful guides I found was AstroBaby's- have you seen it?  I'd recommend reading several others too.

https://www.astro-baby.com/astrobaby/help/collimation-guide-newtonian-reflector/

Of course, the registration of the collimation tool in the focuser needs sorting first as you say.

Edited by niallk
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Astro_Nic said:

but I do sense a touch of cancel culture in respect of OO from some people

No cancel culture here, quite the opposite in fact; just a desire for a British company to succeed, to listen to feedback and do the right thing by listening to customers and treating them well. I’ve had good and bad experiences with them, but perhaps your latest experience is a sign that things are changing. Let’s hope so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 01/03/2022 at 10:27, Astro_Nic said:

Well I did all my research before purchase and weighed up all the pros and cons, so I'm well aware of some issues people have had in the past.  However, having dealt with them now for a number of months I have found them perfectly fine.  They were quick to answer all my queries, they helped set up the scope how I wanted it, offered advice.  When I picked up the scope they were friendly and told me to get back to them with any problems and issues and they have agreed to give my scope another once over.  I am therefore completely happy with the customer service of Orion Optics.  So I don't know if these are historic issues or if some people have just been a bit unlucky, but I do sense a touch of cancel culture in respect of OO from some people......a number of people on another astronomy forum actively slagging them off even though they themselves have never dealt with them.

I prefer to judge people and businesses from my personal experiences rather than hearsay from the internet.  You'll always have issues highlighted online, but you never hear about the thousands of other customers who received the service they expected but didn't see the need to post as such.

All I need to work out is how to collimate this damn thing and why the cap and sight tube are so different!

Thanks all

Nic

Please note that I'm not slagging them off. I simply suggested a line of research. If you'd like to hear about my own (and one of my customer's) experiences of after sales then it will have to be via PM.  All I have ever said publicly about this firm is that the ODK14 I used for a few years worked very well. I repeat that here.

Olly

On 02/03/2022 at 17:36, ollypenrice said:

Please note that I'm not slagging them off. I simply suggested a line of research. If you'd like to hear about my own (and one of my customer's) experiences of after sales then it will have to be via PM.  All I have ever said publicly about this firm is that the ODK14 I used for a few years worked very well. I repeat that here.

Olly

Apologies, I wasn't suggesting you were.

On 23/02/2022 at 22:00, Second Time Around said:

Just clip them onto a 12 volt battery.  I use Yuasa ones, either the hand size 7Ah ones that fit burglar alarms or for my short sessions the tiny 1.2 Ah size. Either fit on the rocker box of my 8 and 10 inch OOUK Dobs.

I suggest you buy 2 so that you always have a spare.  I've got 3 of the 1.2Ah size and 1 of the 7Ah size. (I've just given 4 of the latter to a fellow club member).  I rotate them, keeping 1 permanently on charge and use this one the next session.

Took your advice and got a couple of the Yuasa 7Ah batteries and connected it up tonight - I was surprised that the fan blew the air out of the tube, rather than blowing onto the mirror….is that correct or have they fitted my fan upside down?! 

thanks!

So really struggling with collimation….first view through collimation cap - makes sense and I understand it - I’ve also put card between primary and secondary and card behind secondary and the view looks good. Nice central, circular secondary.  The second pic is through a cheshire/sight tube.  I just don’t understand what I’m seeing and what is going on.  Can anyone help?  I’ve got some great collimation guides but my views bare no relationship to what I’m seeing! So the sight tube is massively offset from the bright Cheshire. There are two bright circles in the centre - one offset.  I can’t see all the primary as it is offset to the right. Looking down the focused/cap looks fine but no idea what’s going on here - it’s like the Cheshire is angled to the right.  Got the Cheshire well clamped in a Baader click lock.  The photos match what I am seeing. Thanks!690C3823-8696-4D90-9439-D6A7171EA20D.thumb.png.2e5a820006ab81a36024b022ebcf2308.png0DC996CB-1D46-4E93-93A7-FD1571D582A0.thumb.jpeg.ab683c53179fb0ecf536e06f1b492b33.jpeg

Okay I've tried to get some more pics which might help....they might help you, they don't help me!

1-This is the view through the cap with coloured paper behind secondary

2 - View through cheshire / sight with coloured paper behind secondary

3 - View through focuser opening with mirror covered by white paper

4 - scope1492101297_col101.jpg.c6b645117c3b71d310db14abd23a7ec8.jpg169898230_col104.jpg.539cd02cc48824d82b4bf8e2388ccc35.jpg2120467178_col103.thumb.jpg.0a66018ad6a6de283a9fa22995fc5536.jpg348529_col102.thumb.jpg.a57a6ec3340feab50e24d1b9e5dca3a5.jpg

Thanks

The secondary looks too far left through both the cap and the Cheshire to me. Get a tape or some verniers and make sure your focuser is square with the tube. I would first collimate with the cap as best you can and then see what you've got with a star test. If it's no good, try the same process through the Cheshire and star test. Try to eliminate one thing at a time. 

I had a bit of a struggle recently with my 200P. To centre and square the secondary I loosened all three adjustment screws and tightened the locking screw until the base of the secondary mount was flush with the secondary holder. I then turned each adjustment screw 1/4 one after the other, while backing off the locking screw as the adjustment screws started to bite, until the secondary was centered and square with the holder. A bit of a fiddle but you at least know everything is as should be. 

• Thanks 1

@Astro_Nic

The first step is to make the secondary look round and under the focuser evenly (using the sec adjustment bolt).  Do this first IMHO.

A cheshire (as used as a sight tube) will automatically set the needed off set.

You can then put the cross hairs on the primary marker, in the center of it, using the 3 sec adjustment screws.

Then using the actual cheshire, put the "dot in the donut".

This process can be iterative.

Thanks for all your help so far.  I can see and understand what needs to happen to the secondary mirror.

Whistlin Bob has very kindly offered to pop round next week and hopefully we can get it sorted together.

I sent the photo with the two circles highlighted that weren’t concentric to Orion optics and asked them to assist.  All they could say was that they don’t collimation that way and directed me to their guide.  Surely if the collimation cap and Cheshire show the secondary needs moving then it needs moving, regardless of your collimation method.  Not impressed.

Edited by Astro_Nic