Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Making......... A Zoom Eyepiece!?

spacegalaxy

I saw many videos of making eyepieces, and most were of making ramsden eyepieces, but then I saw this:

And it literally blew my mind! Also this guy made another video which caught my attention:

So, are these projects feasible? Are there any other eyepieces that I can make at home?

Edited by spacegalaxy
  • Like 1

• spacegalaxy changed the title to Making......... A Zoom Eyepiece!?
4 hours ago, spacegalaxy said:

Lens for plossl (Will these work?, He suggested them in the comments):

https://www.amazon.in/Anand-traders-achromat-telescope-eyepiece/dp/B09716GG96

Also, I could not find a negative achromatic lens for cheap, so can anyone help me find one?

You could try: irpoyser.co.uk and see if he has one to suit. As he doesn't list everything he has got on his website you will need to email him.

Nigel

• Like 1

Go to 'home' on that page and you can then click on 'lenses' to see the options for ( mostly) positive lenses. At the bottom he mentions that he has more ( there might be some negative lenses amongst his stock) , just contact him with your requirements.

Nigel

• Like 1

spacegalaxy,

Nice idea.

You might find a 2nd hand Barlow cheaply and use its negative achromat. In removing the business end of a Celestron x2 Barlow and screwing it into the nose of a 7.5mm Plossl it amplified by x1.3.

David

Edited by davidc135
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, davidc135 said:

spacegalaxy,

Nice idea.

You might find a 2nd hand Barlow cheaply and use its negative achromat. In removing the business end of a Celestron x2 Barlow and screwing it into the nose of a 7.5mm Plossl it amplified by x1.3.

David

Thanks for the comment, I can't thank you enough! Also, a bit of confusion, which Celestron Barlow do you mean? The cheap one or the Omni Barlow or some other one?

Other than that, there are no doubts and once again thanks you! :thumbright:

Well, they'd all work, I suppose the more pricey the better. I have a basic Celestron Barlow which does a good job but it may be that more expensive versions would prove their worth on faster scopes- mine tend to be slow. All Barlows contain negative achromats- or apochromats.

David