SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 130M SynScan AZ GOTO

PatrickO

I have the opportunity to buy a Skywatcher Explorer 130m SynScan AZ GOTO Telescope at a good price. 

Would this be acceptable for planetary and lunar photography with either my DSLR or a ZWO planetary camera? I understand it's not ideal, but budget is limited. 

Many thanks for advice. 

Edited by PatrickO

39 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

I thought only the 130PDS was suitable for astrophotography but according to Harrisons the 130M is suitable.

But only with a barlow lens to allow the camera to reach focus.

3 hours ago, PatrickO said:

I have the opportunity to buy a Skywatcher Explorer 130m SynScan AZ GOTO Telescope at a good price. 

Would this be acceptable for planetary and lunar photography with either my DSLR or a ZWO planetary camera? I understand it's not ideal, but budget is limited. 

Many thanks for advice. 

Is the telescope a 130/900 or 130/650 ? The 130M model has a focal length of 900mm and is not usually supplied with the AZ-Goto mount.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

But only with a barlow lens to allow the camera to reach focus.

Is the telescope a 130/900 or 130/650 ? The 130M model has a focal length of 900mm and is not usually supplied with the AZ-Goto mount.

I would use a barlow. I have the 130M 130/900 already. Being offered the mount at a good price. 

Edited by PatrickO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

only with a barlow lens to allow the camera to reach focus.

?

8 hours ago, PatrickO said:

either my DSLR or a ZWO planetary camera?

Any zwo will reach focus out of the box.

Cheers

**edit the planetary zwos include this adapter which fits directly to the 1.25" focuser on the 130.

T-Mount1.jpg.b8a33c3210dee19c3f8354cef133f594.jpg

Edited by alacant
Adapter
  • Like 1

If a DSLR is used the telescope might not have enough in focus travel distance to reach focus though some overcome this by using a barlow which given the planets or Moon as intended targets you might be using one anyway.

The mount would track in tiny left right up down movements which keeps the object in frame but doesn't track field rotation. This can be worked around by keeping exposure lengths within limits eg a several minutes long video of Jupiter might start showing rotation (I don't know how to calculate when how many minutes).

• Like 1