Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky Safari Pro - inaccuracy of asteroid positions

lukebl

Hi, does anyone know how to correct the incorrect asteroid positions in Sky Safari Pro, as they are way out for me.

See the screen grab below. The view on left shows the position of asteroid (2648) Owa in Carte du Ciel. I know this position is correct as I've checked it on the JPL Database. The view on the right is from Sky Safari Pro, where the asteroid is over one degree from it's real position.

I know that the Minor Body Orbit data has been updated in SSP, so how can it get it so wrong? Completely useless, in fact, for planning an observation.

51896726266_7d754b3ed4_k.jpg

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

That’s weird, in both SS6Pro and SS7Pro for me they look accurate vs CdC.

Which version are you running?

Admittedly, it is version 5, and I see we're now on version 7. Perhaps they've got built-in obsolescence!

I guess I'll have to splash out on the latest version. £44.99. Ouch! Worth every penny though, Isuppose.

1 hour ago, lukebl said:

Admittedly, it is version 5, and I see we're now on version 7. Perhaps they've got built-in obsolescence!

I guess I'll have to splash out on the latest version. £44.99. Ouch! Worth every penny though, Isuppose.

I do think 7Pro is excellent, although maybe wait and see if they have a half price promotion sometime soon?

16 minutes ago, Stu said:

I do think 7Pro is excellent, although maybe wait and see if they have a half price promotion sometime soon?

I was offered a promotion a few days ago, which I ignored, and which now appears to have expired! Always the way.

Anyway, I've now bought version 7 and the asteroids are in their correct positions. Now to get used to the different interface.

Despite the cost, it is undoubtedly the best app around.

• Like 1

Having now installed the latest version of SkySafari, I'm now trying to insert my custom horizon which I had in my original version.

The instruction say go to the 'Apps' section in iTunes and import the png file from there. However, I find the iTunes app a nightmare and there's no sign anywhere of an 'Apps' section. Does anyone know how to install a horizon?

18 minutes ago, lukebl said:

Having now installed the latest version of SkySafari, I'm now trying to insert my custom horizon which I had in my original version.

The instruction say go to the 'Apps' section in iTunes and import the png file from there. However, I find the iTunes app a nightmare and there's no sign anywhere of an 'Apps' section. Does anyone know how to install a horizon?

I just put the file in the SkySafari folder on my phone and it shows up in the list of horizons to choose from. I generated them in Observer Pro, then exported from there.

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

I just put the file in the SkySafari folder on my phone and it shows up in the list of horizons to choose from. I generated them in Observer Pro, then exported from there.

I remember that's how I did it last time, but how do you find the folder? That's the problem. Mine's on an IPad. I think it's a piece of cake with an android phone.

6 minutes ago, lukebl said:

I remember that's how I did it last time, but how do you find the folder? That's the problem. Mine's on an IPad. I think it's a piece of cake with an android phone.

I use an iPhone. You should have a Files folder somewhere?

D46F3D71-872A-47A6-9DD0-101D5263693E.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I use an iPhone. You should have a Files folder somewhere?

Ah yes. I've found the files folder, and there's a SkySafari folder in there

However, I put the png file in there but it doesn't come up in the  'Horizon Panorama' menu. In fact there are only two other files in that folder.

8 minutes ago, lukebl said:

Ah yes. I've found the files folder, and there's a SkySafari folder in there

However, I put the png file in there but it doesn't come up in the  'Horizon Panorama' menu. In fact there are only two other files in that folder.

That’s exactly what I did and it showed up first time.

89FCC542-0E3A-4D1D-B344-55B077968868.png

8DE68FA3-7FC7-4B8C-ACE4-320E048DD37B.png