SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Maximizing a scope's performance

Hello SGL! I have a rather keen interest in astronomy, but I only have a 70mm F/10 (700mm), but the ep's are not-so-good Kellner type, in which the 4mm, 10mm are trash, they are like pinholes. I am looking for an upgrade but telescopes are very expensive w/ international shipping. So now I am looking at these upgrades to maximise my scope's performance: 

1. Red dot finder: Not much use for DSO's but I think it will be an upgrade over my stopped 5x24 finder.

2. Eyepieces: Omni 32mm for DSO's, Omni 12mm(?) for planetary (The Omni 12mm is not confirmed yet)

3. Making a dob mount.

4. Barlow (Not decided which one yet

Additional upgrades will be posted and you can recommend me/ give me advice on the above upgrades

Edited by spacegalaxy

The Omni eyepieces are Plössl design, so the shorter ones will have the same short eye relief and small eye lenses as the Kelners (although the image quality will be better). If you don't wear glasses while observing, this is fine. If you do need to wear glasses, the shorter Plössls are a pain to use (the Vixen-made Celestron 10 mm Plössl I bought with my scope was the first to be replaced with a long-eye-relief Vixen LV EP). Longer eye relief EPs do come at a higher cost, however. I personally would go for 9 or 10mm for planets in an F/10 scope. The 32 makes sense for DSOs.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

The Omni eyepieces are Plössl design, so the shorter ones will have the same short eye relief and small eye lenses as the Kelners (although the image quality will be better). If you don't wear glasses while observing, this is fine. If you do need to wear glasses, the shorter Plössls are a pain to use (the Vixen-made Celestron 10 mm Plössl I bought with my scope was the first to be replaced with a long-eye-relief Vixen LV EP). Longer eye relief EPs do come at a higher cost, however.

Thanks for the information, I was going for the 12mm for that reason, and I got glasses, although for myopia

18 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I personally would go for 9 or 10mm for planets in an F/10 scope. The 32 makes sense for DSOs.

I actually wanted to see DSO's, that's why I had gone for the 32, for planets though, I am thinking of a 2x barlow w/ the 12mm which provide 6mm, which will be used for planetary and with the 32, for observing the moon