SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Easy Help Requested

I've recently inherited a sky watcher reflector (see attached) and various buts & pieces including the mount and I have a few questions ...

1. Can someone tell if me if this is an astrophotography reflector?  

2. It's been in the loft for a few years and I'm leaving it for a few days somewhere dry and warm but I may need to clean the mirror. any advice welcome?

I'm no expert but not clueless either.

SkyWatcher.png

It's a standard Skywatcher Explorer 200P - 8" f5  Newtonian Reflector.  It seems to have the standard focuser which would suggest it's not the PDS version which was more suited for taking images with.  That said you should be able to use the scope for astrophotography, provided the mount is suitable 

Nice scope to inherit! Don't rush to be cleaning the mirror until you're sure, there are various threads on here and tutorials if you need them though. Post a photo of the mirror and folk will give you an idea how badly it needs cleaning.

Looks like the focuser rubbers have gone AWOL but nothing to be concerned about, a couple of big o-rings or similar can replace them.

Edited by wulfrun
added sentence
  • Like 1

thanks for the replies, the mirror appears quite clean now it's warmed up and dried out so will leave this for now. I'm looking at http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_accessories-motor_drives_and_goto_upgrades/enhanced-dual-axis-motor-drive-for-eq5-mount.html to help with long exposure AP but  I need to check other items I may need to attach the DSLR and get it in focus. At 68, this is real excitement!

Just now, fozzybear said:

with the scope you have it is rather long and will be affected by wind and if you want to do AP maybe save your cash and look at a second hand HEQ5 or better

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tickmatrix said:

thanks for the replies, the mirror appears quite clean now it's warmed up and dried out so will leave this for now. I'm looking at http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_accessories-motor_drives_and_goto_upgrades/enhanced-dual-axis-motor-drive-for-eq5-mount.html to help with long exposure AP but  I need to check other items I may need to attach the DSLR and get it in focus. At 68, this is real excitement!

There has been a similar thread running where another member was looking at using the same mount and motor drive option for imaging.  A few of us suggested the Synscan goto upgrade but the member opted for the enhanced controller, and after trying to overcome issues the motor drive presented is now considering selling it and upgrading to the synscan system.  

Whilst a 200P on and EQ5 will cope with a dslr camera, by the time you add a guide scope and camera etc you are really stretching the EQ5 to its limit for imaging.  A better option is to mount the 200P on an HEQ5, which has better load capability, has far better precision and is overall a better suited combination, and I'm talking form personal experience as I started with an EQ5 and soon sold it and bought a second hand HEQ5 soon after. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, malc-c said:

There has been a similar thread running where another member was looking at using the same mount and motor drive option for imaging.  A few of us suggested the Synscan goto upgrade but the member opted for the enhanced controller, and after trying to overcome issues the motor drive presented is now considering selling it and upgrading to the synscan system.  

Whilst a 200P on and EQ5 will cope with a dslr camera, by the time you add a guide scope and camera etc you are really stretching the EQ5 to its limit for imaging.  A better option is to mount the 200P on an HEQ5, which has better load capability, has far better precision and is overall a better suited combination, and I'm talking form personal experience as I started with an EQ5 and soon sold it and bought a second hand HEQ5 soon after. 

+1 exactly 

I would put the scope and mount together and have a look at the views first.
The choice of a motor drive, or different mount is not important right now.
Get a feel for how you get on with handling and using this size of scope before reaching for your wallet.
It may, for some reason, give poor views.
You might not get on with the big tube and mount.

HTH, David.

• Like 1

I started out imaging with a 200p/EQ5 mount combination. I honestly wouldn’t recommend it for astrophotography. It’s perfectly possible, but you will have to manage a lot of issues that take patience and a lot of trial and error. Even then, you still won’t be able to get the best results. If you do plan for imaging, HEQ5 is a minimum for giving yourself an easier time, although it does take time to learn how to use the end result will be better.

First priority would be to have a go at some visual work to get used to the scope and check the optics are up to the job. Collimation of the mirrors would also be needed.

• Like 1

I'd agree with the recommendation to try the scope for visual observing first to help you become accustomed to an instrument of that size and the basics of observing with a telescope. 

In addition, you'll want to learn how to polar align the mount, assuming it's an equatorial one. This will be important for making it easier to follow an object in the sky and increase your observing enjoyment and it's essential for astrophotography. 

As others have said, you'll be better off with a HEQ5 or equivalent mount minimum if you want to venture into imaging, and that too is a hefty and expensive thing.

IMHO, it's better to start off with what you've got and learn to get the best out of it before spending any money.

Good luck 

Mike

sounds like my best option is to get to know what I have with a view of progressing to HEQ5 at a later stage, thanks everyone.

could someone help me identify these items. I know one is a filter but what for (I think its a moon filter?)

also while I get use to what I have, what is the max. exposure if I don't have tracking.

lens.png

Edited by tickmatrix

Don't be in a rush to dismantle the scope and clean the mirrors.  It's surprising how well mirrors perform with what we may consider as being dirty.  If you do need or want to clean them then research this properly, and don't go using detergents and tap water.  Ideally deionised RO water is needed along with IPA.  Once cleaned and reassembled the optics will need re-collimating.  Again, this has been well documented on the forum, websites and youtube videos.  You can then use the mount you have with the scope and see how well it performs visually.  You can then try attaching a camera and try your hand at imaging.  Then if you find the limitations of your existing mount restricts your progress then that may be the time to upgrade to an HEQ5 or similar.

The part labelled 'super 25' is a 1.25" 25mm eyepiece in a 1.25" eyepiece holder.  The threads at the end of the holder screw into the part that fits into the focuser.

The filter is a neutral density filter.  It darkens the view.  It isn't really needed.

The other part looks like an extension that fits between the focuser and the eyepiece.  The bevelled bit fits in the focuser.  The threaded bit at the end is where you screw the eyepiece holder onto it.  The external thread is for attaching other accessories or cameras.  The threaded end can be removed (undo the silver thumb screws) and fitted directly to the focuser.  Most of the time you won't need the extension.

57 minutes ago, malc-c said:

Don't be in a rush to dismantle the scope and clean the mirrors.  It's surprising how well mirrors perform with what we may consider as being dirty.  If you do need or want to clean them then research this properly, and don't go using detergents and tap water.  Ideally deionised RO water is needed along with IPA.  Once cleaned and reassembled the optics will need re-collimating.  Again, this has been well documented on the forum, websites and youtube videos.  You can then use the mount you have with the scope and see how well it performs visually.  You can then try attaching a camera and try your hand at imaging.  Then if you find the limitations of your existing mount restricts your progress then that may be the time to upgrade to an HEQ5 or similar.

good advice, thanks. I'm going to leave the mirror and just crack on and learn based on what I have. 

1 hour ago, wongataa said:

The part labelled 'super 25' is a 1.25" 25mm eyepiece in a 1.25" eyepiece holder.  The threads at the end of the holder screw into the part that fits into the focuser.

The filter is a neutral density filter.  It darkens the view.  It isn't really needed.

The other part looks like an extension that fits between the focuser and the eyepiece.  The bevelled bit fits in the focuser.  The threaded bit at the end is where you screw the eyepiece holder onto it.  The external thread is for attaching other accessories or cameras.  The threaded end can be removed (undo the silver thumb screws) and fitted directly to the focuser.  Most of the time you won't need the extension.

thanks, that;s helpful. is the extension used to increase the focal length? I've been told I need a barlow lense and a T Ring to attach a camera

Extensions are needed if whatever you are using to view with needs to be further away from the focuser than can be achieved without the extension to achieve focus.  Most eyepieces won't need one.

You will need a t-ring to attach a camera.  If you use a narrow t-ring you should be able to get focus without a Barlow.  This is definitely possible with Canon cameras as I have done it.