Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venus on the 12th feb

neil phillips

Optolong filter had to go back there was a problem. so will be getting something new soon. Until then my makeshift UG1 and BG39 stack. No UV yet. But i will get something in the coming weeks i am sure. When i get the new uv filter

Cassegrain 8" F12 ZWO 178MM. UG1 BG39 EQ5 Mount 

12th ug1 70.png

• Like 7

The phase is showing very nicely.

The UV filter certainly opens up lots of opportunities to see something other than than the usual white phase. Seems ages since Venus attained anything like a decent altitude. I did have a go with UV filter last week end, but nothing really worth posting to be honest Neil/

7 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

The phase is showing very nicely.

The UV filter certainly opens up lots of opportunities to see something other than than the usual white phase. Seems ages since Venus attained anything like a decent altitude. I did have a go with UV filter last week end, but nothing really worth posting to be honest Neil/

Thanks for the feedback Pete. trying to decipher my filter imaging not picking up UV very well. and Venus not showing any. I know you have a dedicated UV filter. So i am guessing its not showing much UV yet then ? 

W47 BG39 this morning bit windy 

w47 19th b c.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 4

On 19/02/2022 at 09:10, neil phillips said:

Thanks for the feedback Pete. trying to decipher my filter imaging not picking up UV very well. and Venus not showing any. I know you have a dedicated UV filter. So i am guessing its not showing much UV yet then ? 

W47 BG39 this morning bit windy 

w47 19th b c.png

No nothing to see last time, but hopefully as the phase grows a little more will become visible.  Also would be nice to capture Venus a little higher up as well

5 hours ago, morimarty said:

They are great images Neil. The phase is very clear and well defined. looking forward to see what you can capture with the UV filter when it arrives.

Thanks Martyn Going to try the Orion when the filter comes. Not a dedicated UV Venus filter a Bader Bessel U photometric. That was recommended to me by Christophe Pellier Its transmission is misleading at only 60%

it has a broader spectrum. That helps with UV cutting equipment like AR Windows on cameras. Barlows. And even ADCs

Baader UBVRI Bessel Photometric Filters | First Light Optics

Edited by neil phillips

4 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

No nothing to see last time, but hopefully as the phase grows a little more will become visible.  Also would be nice to capture Venus a little higher up as well

I think the height gets worse as we go further along this time around Pete. We are talking capturing in daylight no matter what

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

I think the height gets worse as we go further along this time around Pete. We are talking capturing in daylight no matter what

yes it does, but i was thinking more my window of opportunity. I have a little feeling there maybe some conifer removal in the next couple of weeks in a nearby garden, which should allow me to catch Venus at its highest point during the day. Although not particularly high it is better than the current view.  

24 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

yes it does, but i was thinking more my window of opportunity. I have a little feeling there maybe some conifer removal in the next couple of weeks in a nearby garden, which should allow me to catch Venus at its highest point during the day. Although not particularly high it is better than the current view.  

I have never tried when the sun starts getting higher if that's what you mean ? Recently stopping about 7.45. Have you caught UV later in the morning Pete ?

15 hours ago, neil phillips said:

I have never tried when the sun starts getting higher if that's what you mean ? Recently stopping about 7.45. Have you caught UV later in the morning Pete ?

All my best images have been during broad daylight, admittedly when the Sun has been much higher than this time around.