Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSS alternatives

Not free although Affinity Photo sometimes have half price deals, great processing software that is a match better than Photoshop and includes a full package of Astro routines including stacking..

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 1

ASTAP is another free alternative.  It doesn't do multi session stacking properly, unlike DSS and it is mind numbingly slow (over an hour to process an image that DSS can handle in 5 minutes) but the results otherwise are OK.

If you find Siril  too bad (and I hate script and CLI based software) then Sirilic gets round some of the problems, although it spends ages copying files from one directory to another and then then doesn't tidy up afterwards.

1 hour ago, shropshire lad said:

Do you mean .. wont save result as a FITS file ..... as I am loading CR2 raw files in to be  stacked.

You can use FitsWork to bulk convert CR2 raws to fits if you need (some stacking software might only work with fits).

17 minutes ago, Chefgage said:

Any reason for not wanting to use DSS?

I have been using DSS but lately I'm not too happy with the final stacked image .. my raw files look good but the final image from DSS is way too bright I have removed and reinstalled it but no better.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, almcl said:

ASTAP is another free alternative.  It doesn't do multi session stacking properly, unlike DSS and it is mind numbingly slow (over an hour to process an image that DSS can handle in 5 minutes) but the results otherwise are OK.

If you find Siril  too bad (and I hate script and CLI based software) then Sirilic gets round some of the problems, although it spends ages copying files from one directory to another and then then doesn't tidy up afterwards.

I believe it does do multi session by date but maybe @han59 could clarify 

1 hour ago, Chefgage said:

Any reason for not wanting to use DSS?

I don't like it because:

1. It uses bilinear interpolation when aligning frames

2. I have no idea of what sort of algorithm is used for frame normalization

• Like 1

17 hours ago, almcl said:

ASTAP seems to do multi session stacking for me and in a speedy fashion. Maybe its down to how beefy the computer is!

11 minutes ago, almcl said:

How do you match the different flats from the various sessions to their respective lights?

There's an option under darks and flats tabs to "Classify by date for master creation". Then ASTAP picks the correct dark/flat when stacking. Well that's what I understand is what happens. I could be wrong but my images seem OK.

3 hours ago, shropshire lad said:

I have been using DSS but lately I'm not too happy with the final stacked image .. my raw files look good but the final image from DSS is way too bright I have removed and reinstalled it but no better.

Are you processing as well in DSS? I use the auto-generated fits file which is linear and I ignore what it had looked like in DSS.

Its worth it to try to get Siril to work for you and it doesn't really take that much getting used to. The easiest way is to use the premade OSC preprocessing script found in Siril. Just create a folder on a drive that has plenty of free space on it (and make this the "home folder" for Siril), create 4 subfolders named lights, darks, biases and flats and then put all the raw frames on these folders and click the script. Siril converts your CR2 files to .fits files and then calibrates them and stacks them. It really is that simple.

Check this tutorial if it still doesn't make sense: https://siril.org/tutorials/first-steps/

If you want to have a drag and drop kind of experience like with DSS you can use Sirilic, which uses Siril to do the stacking but with a simple to use graphical interface.

Check it out here: https://siril.org/docs/sirilic/#the-first-steps-with-sirilic

With Sirilic you can do lots of things you cant really do with DSS, like removing background gradients per subframe (subsky) before stacking which helps a lot if you had an unusually strong gradient for some reason.