SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Getting pre-made mirrors?

spacegalaxy

That might be a long search.  New and used 4 inch to 6 inch telescope tube assemblies are now so cheap in the West (compared with average wages) that there is no interest in new pre-made mirrors of these sizes.

There is a site https://www.astroboot.eu/AstroBoot which sells parts removed from unsaleable telescopes, which might have what you want sooner or later. (They have some 76mm dia mirrors in stock).   I do not know if they ship to India - currently they do not ship to the UK because of Brexit, which is not encouraging.

• Like 1

When shipping to India from my work, which is not astro related, it has been fraught with problems brought up by India import/customs authorities.
Far more difficulties were raised by India than almost any other country.
This was on shipments valued usually at a few thousand pounds.
When we tried to pass on the bills for the excessive time spent, our customers were unhappy.
In the end we told our India customers that we were happy to sell them parts and pack them for shipping.
However, they had to arrange the collection, the carrier, and deal with the paper trail.

More than once, customers arranged to combine a visit to UK family members with taking back a heavy suitcase!
In that situation we were happy to ship to a UK address.
If someone could help you with a mirror in a similar way, that may be viable solution.

Sorry if this sounds unhelpful but if you ask retailers and they don't want to know about export to India, you have the explanation.

Good luck with your search.

David.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

New and used 4 inch to 6 inch telescope tube assemblies are now so cheap in the West (compared with average wages) that there is no interest in new pre-made mirrors of these sizes.

Yes, I also think so, but a 114mm telescope w/terrible mount will cost 165$ here in India!

I have seen Skywatcher 4.5" F=500 mm parabolic mirrors for 121 euro at Teleskop-Service

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3458_Skywatcher-Parabolic-Mirror-114-500-mm.html

Shipping to India will be an issue. Isn't there a Skywatcher dealer in India who can supply this?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I have seen Skywatcher 4.5" F=500 mm parabolic mirrors for 121 euro at Teleskop-Service

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3458_Skywatcher-Parabolic-Mirror-114-500-mm.html

Shipping to India will be an issue. Isn't there a Skywatcher dealer in India who can supply this?

There is one, C-sky telescopes, I will see on the website if it is available!

Edit: There doesn't seem to be any mirrors on that website

Edited by spacegalaxy

6 hours ago, davidc135 said:

Have you contacted Tejraj in Mumbai- telescope@tejraj.com - who advertise GSO mirrors including a 6'' F/8 at around your budget?

David

Thanks for that, I saw there link and there were many mirrors, but their out of stock, so I could consider that in future.

20 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

When shipping to India from my work, which is not astro related, it has been fraught with problems brought up by India import/customs authorities.

We also ship to India. The paperwork is a nightmare :unsure:

• Haha 1