Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Leo Triplet & ST-10XME first light

bazza

This was taken on the night of 4/5 March - the Moon was at first quarter then.

First light for the SBIG ST-10XME & a big learning curve for me, ie. de-blooming.

Also, just before I took all the Flats, I caught the camera and subsequently, I think this knocked the imaging train slightly - all my flats were about 25 pixels out....very frustrating.

I hope I've hid them well!

I've not conquered de-blooming yet, as I think can be seen!

Comments and criticisms heartily accepted - I've a long way to go with this camera yet.

It may loose something in the jpeg conversion.

Taken with WO ED80II Zenithstar.

Lum: 10 x 3min, 6 x 5 min Bin 1x1

RGB: 10 x 3 each channel Bin 2x2

Processed in CCD Stack, Maxim & Photoshop.

Barry.

post-13206-133877359619_thumb.jpg

Well, that's a good start with the new camera Barry, and nicely framed too.

Like any new piece of 'kit', it needs understanding, with regards getting the best from it, but it looks like you are well on the way to doing that.

I guess from what you say, the SBIG doesn't have an anti-blooming gate feature, like the Sony CCDs ?

Dave

Yes, you're right Dave, it's non anti-blooming. A Kodak chip.

But it is very sensitive, although I think it will take alot of getting used to.

First impressions are that I like it alot.

The de-blooming part of the processing, takes alot to get your head around though.

In fact, for me, all processing takes alot to get my head around!!

Barry.

I have always wanted this CCD because quantum efficiency is so high and a great start with your triplet image, I think Maxim does deblooming in the process section. This CCD is best for fluffy nebula without the bright stars and so you risk blooming with wide fields but removing bloom produces good results from other images I have seen. JohnH.

Great image Barry, holds out the hope for really stunning pics.

It may just be the thumbnail version that gets squished and mushed by the web software, but the galaxies look a little soft perhaps. Are they nice and sharp on the unprocessed pics? Or is that how the debloom business manifest itself?

Cheers

TJ

Tim,

I think because of the Moon, which has no doubt led to some noise, I may have been over zealous with the Noise Reduction side of things!

I think in turn this has softened the galaxies.

You know the routine, noise reduction v sharpening!

Because of the flats problem, I didn't think I would be getting anything out of this, so it's a bit of a salvage job!

I'm just so impressed with the sensitivity of the camera.

Even at 3 min subs, it may be saturating the stars!

Thanks for the kind comments everyone - much appriciated.

Barry.

That's a great image Barry. You'll love that camera. I have a QSI 532 which uses the same chip. The sensitivity is great.

My approach to blooming so far, and it's still relatively new to me, is not to over do the correction. The Maxim debloomer is ok. Ron Wodaski's gives you a bit more to play with. I find it easiest to leave a little spike and then smudge it out in PS. The best bet is probably to avoid excessive blooming by going for shorter exposures. The sensitivity of the chip really pays here.

That's a great image Barry. You'll love that camera. I have a QSI 532 which uses the same chip. The sensitivity is great.

Thanks Martin, I had it brought to my attention that virtually all the stars were saturated - hence little star colour, I think the 3min RGB subs, because they were binned at 2x2 was just too much for it.

Probably better getting the RGB at Bin 1x1.

The Lum subs seem fine.

Using the CCD Ware sub exposure calculator,

http://www.ccdware.com/resources/

this gives me a max exposure of 230 secs, so I'm going to aim for around the 200 sec mark at Bin 1x1.

But the initial impression I get of the camera is 'sensitive or what!'

Barry.

Tim,

You know the routine, noise reduction v sharpening!

Only too well, which is why I dont use NR or blur on any of the top layers, you just lose too much data.

When all else is processed, as a general rule, then I use GreyC to create a new image, then combine the elements of that that require the most NR with the original.

Of course every pic is individual, there isn't really one technique for all. It's just great when you can pull an image like that out of the bag you thought was empty :)

Cheers

TJ

Archived