Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ok new set up...

ok i swapped my 20*70mm binos for 10*50mm and i have now purchased a telescope . I figured that my binos were to shaky in high magnification even with the tripod, so mayeswell buy a telescope and buy some average bird watching binos so now i can use both!!

My telescope is 225*/525*/76mm reflector, any tips for my first telescope thanks

Well I would try Venus one evening (the bright star in the west after sunset) and see what the crescent looks like. You will only need low power to see the crescent.

Then try Saturn which is in the east after about 9pm...

Good luck..

Mark

Just to dispel a couple of illusions the packaging may have left you with, the claims for magnification made by telescope manufacturers are wildly exaggerated. The maximum practical magnification available with a 76mm scope is about 150x. Not to worry, this is a very useful magnification.

You should be able to see the moons and some detail on Jupiter, the rings of Saturn, immense lunar detail, and star clusters will look gorgeous.

Get the current issue of one of the popular astronomy magazines so you will have a useful star chart to take outside, and at your lowest power, look for the things mark already mentioned, and try the Orion Nebula, in the 'sword' of Orion, the Pleiades, if it hasn't set, and perhaps the Beehive in Cancer. These are all fairly easy objects.

Your scope probably came with a 25mm, 12.5mm, and 4mm eyepiece. Just use the 25mm and 12.5mm for now. Come back and let us know how you make out, and we'll discuss improvements to your kit later.

Enjoy your scope!

Archived