Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hey all.
My first equipment review video for the Rigel Quikfinder -  Hope it's ok to share here! 🙂
I've used various types of view finders over the years on different model scopes. Each with their own pros and cons. I have found though that switching to a Telrad has made the process of alignment a lot easier. On larger scopes I have the extra bulk and weight is not a big issue but on smaller scopes where every ounce may count then this alternative is good to have! 

I hope this review is in someway helpful. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great video! I just ordered one over the Telrad even though the Rigel was more expensive due to the fact it is much smaller and lighter and it comes with 2 bases so I can move it between my dob and small refractor. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting - I’ve not had that issue as seems very well attached on mine - no movement at all even when turning on/off - but different scopes may be different in this regard, and I can see how it could be knocked potentially. I’m “sticking” with this option for now - good to try different approaches…

I also found that, if inadvertently moved, the magnets would scuff the paintwork. Putting cardboard, etc under the magnets weakened the attachment, so the RQ was too easily put out of alignment. So I've taken the plunge and used the sticky pads, as I said, to the left of the focuser. Seems a bit weird to see it sticking out laterally but it works quite well and means I don't have to keep getting up and walking round the scope.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

I also found that, if inadvertently moved, the magnets would scuff the paintwork. Putting cardboard, etc under the magnets weakened the attachment, so the RQ was too easily put out of alignment. So I've taken the plunge and used the sticky pads, as I said, to the left of the focuser. Seems a bit weird to see it sticking out laterally but it works quite well and means I don't have to keep getting up and walking round the scope.

I have opted for a totally different position now. It doesn’t interfere with the RACI or the focuser, and it’s not on the other side. I had to put mine a distance from the front as I sometimes have to use a Astro essentials dew shield.878444EF-EFC1-4790-AC9D-41DDF6D49AF9.thumb.jpeg.1b02d2127ba071d239427f71a3f6dec3.jpegE26DE6B7-9DE4-41EB-973A-756AE9B00CB1.thumb.jpeg.7ee7629821d7e578b58fa311cf804e00.jpeg

2 hours ago, bosun21 said:

I have opted for a totally different position now. It doesn’t interfere with the RACI or the focuser, and it’s not on the other side. I had to put mine a distance from the front as I sometimes have to use a Astro essentials dew shield.878444EF-EFC1-4790-AC9D-41DDF6D49AF9.thumb.jpeg.1b02d2127ba071d239427f71a3f6dec3.jpegE26DE6B7-9DE4-41EB-973A-756AE9B00CB1.thumb.jpeg.7ee7629821d7e578b58fa311cf804e00.jpeg

I’ve also now realised, by trial and error that for me this is probably the most comfortable, natural viewing position for the Rigel as shown here. Looking directly up and through rather than over to the side. 

2 hours ago, cajen2 said:

Looks ok.... doesn't it make looking sideways into the RACI a bit more difficult?

I don’t look into it sideways. I simply take a half step back and semi crouch and it’s a straight through view. It’s the best for my creaky old back and it’s comfortable to boot.

Just now, bosun21 said:

I don’t look into it sideways. I simply take a half step back and semi crouch and it’s a straight through view. It’s the best for my creaky old back and it’s comfortable to boot.

Ah, ok. My back's also a bit iffy so I'm exclusively a seated observer, which is why I want to keep everything within easy reach.

11 hours ago, bosun21 said:

In that case Clive, your choice is the better option for you. I’m strange in that i prefer to be seated whilst using my 127 Mak, yet standing with my Dobsonian.

You're just weird! 🤣

• Haha 1

Update: I've found the QF won't stay on when it's at right angles. Very slowly and gradually, the sticky tape comes off and the QF falls to the floor. It's happened twice now (with fresh sticky pads) so I've had enough and relocated it between the focuser and the RACI. It's a bit crowded but just fits.

• 2 months later...
On 08/03/2022 at 18:46, cajen2 said:

Things have moved on a bit here but just for interest - although I haven’t had any real inadvertent movement issues, or scuffs for that matter (touching wood) I’ve recently attached pieces of left over flocking material to the bottom of the magnets - soft enough to protect but thin enough to not adversely impact the attachment. I’ll let you know how it goes just FYI.  I’m reluctant to “permanently” sticker to the OTA as that may end up peeling paint off if removed! 

Edited by Astro_Dad
Typo

• 1 month later...

I use a telrad on big scopes and prefer a Rigel on small scopes. I wish though the Rigel came with a contraption to allow mounting on a universal shoe mount, it would be so much easier to use flexibly.

(Scopes n stuff in the US do one but it's not worth the postage to order one on its own).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paz said:

I use a telrad on big scopes and prefer a Rigel on small scopes. I wish though the Rigel came with a contraption to allow mounting on a universal shoe mount, it would be so much easier to use flexibly.

(Scopes n stuff in the US do one but it's not worth the postage to order one on its own).

I do the same for the same reasons and also same about the Scopes n Stuff fitting as well, if only a UK supplier held them @FLO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paz said:

The Rigel finder is quite light.

You can simply drill and tap the shoe mount of the Rigel (where the screw would pass) so that you can install a bolt. Then you just need an aluminium plate and job done.

Btw I use a telrad on my 16" and a Rigel on my 12". Originally, they were reversed, but while redesigning my 12" I decided to minimise the UTA weight as much as possible and so the two units were swapped. Between the two, I prefer the telrad, but the Rigel is a great alternative if weight is a concern.

• Like 2