Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

533 or 294mc pro for 80ED?

Daf1983

Hi,

After a year of this great hobby, I'm thinking about upgrading from my Canon 600d to a dedicated astro cam. I've narrowed down the options to the Zwo 294mc pro and the Zwo 533mc pro. 

They both seem a good match for the scope in terms of sampling. So from what I can see, it comes down to the fact that the 294 has a bigger fov, and the 533 has no amp glow. I've also heard that some have trouble with taking calibration frames for the 294.

I've tried framing many targets in telescopius with both cameras, and the vast majority fit in the fov of the 533. 

At the minute, I'm leaning towards the 533, but would welcome any opinions before I drop a grand of my hard earned money.😬

I went with the 294 when I upgraded from my DSLR to a dedicated camera and don't regret it at all. I think it's an awesome camera.

I did research the 533, but it was the square format that put me off. I just thought the 294 provided a better format for framing the targets I'm interest in. But that's probably just a personal choice.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Sterrenland said:

I went with the 294 when I upgraded from my DSLR to a dedicated camera and don't regret it at all. I think it's an awesome camera.

I did research the 533, but it was the square format that put me off. I just thought the 294 provided a better format for framing the targets I'm interest in. But that's probably just a personal choice.

Thanks for the input. I was also initially wary of the square sensor, but found the framing worked for most targets, although quite tight for bigger targets like Pleiades an M42. Have you had any issues with calibration? 

39 minutes ago, Daf1983 said:

Thanks for the input. I was also initially wary of the square sensor, but found the framing worked for most targets, although quite tight for bigger targets like Pleiades an M42. Have you had any issues with calibration? 

No problems with calibration...I try to get 3 second flats (they look horrendous, but work) together with their darks and darks for the main lights. I've never had problems with the amp glow, etc.

I also have the ASI294MC, which I upgraded too from a modded EOS 1300D. I feel the 4/3 sensor allows more scope for the larger targets than the 533 but you've already spotted the main choices between the two.

As for the flats issue with 294, have a look at a thread I started yesterday:

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

I also have the ASI294MC, which I upgraded too from a modded EOS 1300D. I feel the 4/3 sensor allows more scope for the larger targets than the 533 but you've already spotted the main choices between the two.

As for the flats issue with 294, have a look at a thread I started yesterday:

That's a great image with so little integration time! I'm sure I'd be happy with either camera, and either would be a big step up from a dslr.

6 hours ago, Adam J said:

It's not the amp glow that causes the calibration problem. 

Am I correct in thinking that the calibration issues occur when using a dual band filter like the l-enhance/l-extreme?

This is the main thing that's putting me off the 294 at the minute. Amp glow doesn't overly bother me, but I don't want to be spending hours struggling with calibration frames. With a young family and work commitments, time is valuable commodity!😬

From what I've read the 533 seems a lot more user friendly/trouble free.  Any 533 users out there?😀

9 minutes ago, Daf1983 said:

Am I correct in thinking that the calibration issues occur when using a dual band filter like the l-enhance/l-extreme?

This is the main thing that's putting me off the 294 at the minute. Amp glow doesn't overly bother me, but I don't want to be spending hours struggling with calibration frames. With a young family and work commitments, time is valuable commodity!😬

From what I've read the 533 seems a lot more user friendly/trouble free.  Any 533 users out there?😀

Yes, mainly duel band but I have seen people complain about it in deep braudband images taken in low LP too. There may be a solution by moving to 200 gain. 

• Thanks 1

I bought an ASI533 last year for starparties etc. I use ccd cameras at home. I was attracted to the sensitivity, it replaced and Atik 320e colour which needs long exposures. I'm using it with a 60mm F6 scope at 350mm. I've also bought a focal reducer that will reduce the focal length to 288mm. That will get most sensible sized nebulae in. I love the square sensor.

i didn't notice any issues with calibrating but, I admit I've only used it on three targets, a couple with an L'Enhance filter. I used Sequence Generator Pro for all capture including calibration frames. I'm using it on unity gain. Image below using L'Enhance filter, about 60x5 minute subs.

Calibrated with darks, flats and flat darks. Image taken at 350mm focal length.

When I need to replace my SX694 I'll look at the ASI2600 mono. That's a larger chip but double the price.

8A6EEE32-EBE2-472D-8B40-133BDC1BA6C5.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I had issues with Flat calibration, l-extreme and my 294 but that has since been resolved once I'd noticed the (not quite obvious) offset had changed. Once I got that realigned with all the lights and calibration frames everything seems fine. I'm also trying the 200 gain thing too but as I say once my offset issue was sorted I seem to be fine with the 294 too.

This is not a great shot from a very moon infested night last week and the 200 gain but from a calibration point of view it doesn't have the flats issue as far as I can see:

NGC7822.jpg.b3d8b2ed6c6f0f93e2e974c56e85594c.jpg

Edited by scotty38
  • Like 3

Thanks everyone for their replies! I started this thread almost certain I was going to go for the 533, but now I'm even more torn between the 2. 🙃 

I think the main thing that I would like to know is: 

- Would both cameras give me similar performance/results, and does it then just come down to a choice of FOV and square sensor vs rectangular sensor?

Edited by Daf1983

1 hour ago, Daf1983 said:

I think the main thing that I would like to know is: 

- Would both cameras give me similar performance/results, and does it then just come down to a choice of FOV and square sensor vs rectangular sensor?

You should get similar performance from them.

The 294 is a few grams lighter, has a larger sensor & pixels and is slightly more sensitive.

The 533 is £80 cheaper (from FLO), doesn't have the sensor glow and will be less of a faf with the calibrations frames.

So it is really down to square vs rectangular sensor. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either TBH. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for their input, still not sure what to do, but I'm still slightly leaning towards the 533 because it seems easier

Would be nice to hear from someone who has used it with the 80ED, just to put my mind at ease.

2 hours ago, Daf1983 said:

Would be nice to hear from someone who has used it with the 80ED, just to put my mind at ease.

Hi @Daf1983 It's been a couple of years but I used the Evostar 80ED with an ASI533MC-Pro.  I have the following images on my Astrobin gallery taken with this combo.

IC434 (B33), M106, M35, IC443, Double Cluster, Moon and Cygnus wall.  Any shortcomings - and there are plenty - were all me :) 

I missed the sensor area of the DSLR I started with but in every other respect it was better and a very simple camera to use.  I really liked the square sensor for most things.

Hope this helps.

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 1

I just bought a 533 after going through the same process. I'm planning on using it with a Samyang 135mm, FMA180 and a GT71. I think the square sensor will be great for DSO and more forgiving of backfocus, field flatness, tilt etc. Plus easier to calibrate

• Like 1

If the square sensor is putting you off the ASI533 don't forget that you can always shoot a mosaic! Below is a stacked and registered 3x2 mosaic of M42 taken with my ASI533 and L-extreme filter. There's only 20mins per panel (haven't had great weather so far this year to add to it) so whilst the data isn't great, it illustrates my point. The only downside is the amount of time needed to shoot multiple panels and additional data storage. 

I'm really enjoying the camera but at this price point you have to accept the small size of the sensor. The 1:1 aspect ratio means I don't need to think about aligning the "long side" for framing/mosaics etc. and I can easily get away with 1.25" filters. 

Whichever one you choose will end up being a huge upgrade from your Canon 600D!

156438211_M42rawmosaic.PNG.f5b76d81dc15be152a9b29cf1a0668df.PNG

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone for their input. Some lovely shots there @geeklee! As the square sensor doesn't really bother me (I actually quite like the framing in telescopius), I think I will probably go for the 533. I need to sell my dslr first to raise some funds, so plenty of time to change my mind again😂

• Like 1

I have an ASI294MC Pro. The main issue with calibration is that the bias level is inconsistent with very short exposures - so bias frames don't work. So to be safe your flats need to be >1 second, meaning that you need to calibrate the flats with flat darks. This means an extra step in the flats process. Once you've got this process worked out, I find it works fine, with both my IR cut or L-eNhance filter. But it is an extra step, every time.  And as above, darks are essential to calibrate out amp glow.

It's possible with the 533 you won't even need darks, I know some people skip them with the latest CMOS sensors. I also have an ASI2400MC Pro, and when cooled, my darks are nearly identical from 5s to 300s !

In my mind, I'm not keen on the square sensor...   but so many times I crop to square anyway!  Best of luck!

• Like 1