3D printing a 80mm F5 Refractor!

Chaz2b

Having looked into this way of making a refractor, I’ve bit the bullet and have now started printing the tube and objective cell parts. This is from Thingiverse by Charles o’donnell.

As you may know, printing a part on a 3D printer takes time and this is no exception so be patient, I need to be as so many things can mess up a print.

I’m using PLA but really needs to be PETG. on a Anet et4.

chaz

BFC7DDED-CB33-41B5-89DB-D3D44B4A5A64.jpeg

Edited by Chaz2b
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Is it all going to be 3d printed?

Where did you source the lens itself?

I’ve yet to source the objectives and focuser, but Charles does give links to those in his project.

There is quite a few sources for the objectives, but I will spend some time researching them before I decide, just a bit of fun really.

chaz

So the focuser will also be sourced and not printed?

I was thinking of doing such a small refractor myself, but good focuser units are really expensive.

Best I could find was GSO single speed crayford unit that is meant for dob but can be adapted for refractor use (only drawback is rather short tube travel).

I have access to rather cheap aluminum tubing - that is worth getting instead of 3D printing one.

I did buy a Ali tube a few years back for another 90 mm project, sold the lens with a starlight focuser, I’m kicking myself still!

I’ll  print the tube as well, as to the focuser?, I don’t want that to be plastic.