sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Embarassingly silly questions, i'm sure...new to this

Hi all

I bought a telescope on a whim, as my partner and I have often talked about getting one and being able to see the moon, planets etc.

In my impatience and naivety, I thought it was just a case of buying a telescope and pointing it in the right direction.

I now realise...I could not have been more wrong :)

The telescope we have is a Bresser RB60 60mm Refractor Telescope, which is touted as a brilliant beginners kit. It came with a couple of lenses, and I have no idea what to do with it!

We set it up during the day and was instantly impressed with being able to see branches on far away trees and wot not, but then we tried to see the moon at night. No matter what we did, all I could see was the white glare and my own eye lashes!. I imagine the lenses need to be set in a certain way?

Wow we are such newbs, its embarassing :mad:

These are the specs;

60mm optical glass objective lens with a smooth single-arm mount, manual slow motion controls and a 700mm focal length.

Easy assembly

2-element coated 60mm optical glass objective lens with smooth single arm mount

Manual slow motion controls

700mm focal length

Fully adjustable aluminum tripod with accessory tray

Includes two 1.25" eyepieces for low and medium power

New Red-Dot view finder

Which lense do we need to be able to view objects at night, ie the moon etc?

Is there a trick to how you look through the lense, ie hover a few inches away or press right up to it?

I'm sorry these are such noob questions, I guess we should have done a lot more research before jumping in and buying :)

Hello and welcome to SGL. There's no such thing as a silly question so ask away.

It sounds like your focus may have been out. When you're not in focus you just see a big blob with no details, so it can just look like a big ball of white.

You've got 2 eyepieces, one will have a longer focal length (higher number printed on it) than the other. The magnification is controlled by the focal length of the eyepiece and the focal length of the scope. Use eyepiece with the bigger number on it to start with, and adjust the focus until the image you see appears sharp. That eyepiece will also be easier to view with, as you won't need to get your eye so close to the top lens. It's probably worth a practice getting a feel for the distances you need to get from the lens, and the focus adjustments on those trees you mention. Just be very careful you don't point the scope anywhere near the sun.

HTH

Welcome on board!

We all have to start somewhere.....

The lenses (eyepieces) should be marked with a number ie 25mm.

To start, and to get the practise, use the one with the highest number; this will actually give you the lowest magnification.

If you can focus and see the branches, then you're half way there.

Where ever you placed you eye to see them, is where you'd place your eye when looking at the moon etc

I started with a 2" spectacle lens in a cardboard tube with a magnifying glass as an eyepiece, so I certainly won't knock the 60mm Bresser.

Enjoy.

Hi GGG,

Welcome to SGL. I hope you and your partner enjoy being part of this forum.

Now, with all due respect, you have not chosen a particularly good starter scope, so if you want to progress, I'd suggest you not spend any more money on it. However, as Merlin says, we all have to start somewhere.

Since, the moon is very bright and will hurt your eyes, it is worth lashing out £10 on one of these filters - http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation_ND96_Premium_Moon_Filter_1_25__.html It should screw into the end of the eyepiece before you insert it into the telescope.

Have fun.

Mike

It might be best to first align your red dot finder. This is a zero mag finder so by placing the moon into the centre of the red dot finder you will see the mmoon in the 25mm eyepiece.

Best to align during the day. Look for an object along way away maybe a chimney pot on a roof. Place the pot into the middle of the red dot finder. Now look into your eyepiece and place the pot into the middle of the eyepice. Now look back through the red dot finder and adjust accordinly until the pot in centralised.

At the end you should have the pot in the middle of both items.

So at night all you have to do is place the moon or whatever star you want to observe in the centre of the red dot finder and in theory it should be in the eyepiece as well.

As a newbie myself... I was very surprised just how much turning of the focus control was required - in order to go from the houses over the road to the moon or stars.

For a while I did wonder if something was wrong... as I just kept turning and turning to no avail - but eventually it did start to focus.

Thank you for kind the replies! :)

We managed to get the laser pointer set up to begin with, and from what you have all said..it seems to be the focus was not right. We are not used to these long distances I guess!

I gathered its not the best scope out there, but it was cheap..once we get the hang of it, I am sure we will become addicted to star gazing and invest in something better.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, and helping me to not feel so silly! I look forward to sharing our first views with you :mad:

You have indeed bought a beginners scope, Not the best, but then why spend £100's on a scope then deceiding its not the hobby for you. If you look at the moon and then find and find saturn, I can garantee you will be hooked, A Good free program to use is stellarium for finding your a way around the sky.

http://ovh.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/stellarium/stellarium-0.10.1.exe

and has been mentioned there is never been a stupid question asked here, so ask away.........