SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cygnus rising - just dont zoom in...

..because the stars are not in focus properly!.

Bit gutted this happened because i checked the first few subs and they appeared 'ok' on the back of the camera screen, it wasnt until the files were uploaded on the computer that i noticed the issue. Its an auto focus lens, I focused on a distant light which it picked up but hasnt reached infinity. The lens only has a fly-by-wire focus ring which isant going to be much help and there's no other way to dial the focus in manually so I'm not sure what to do going forward, its a shame as its a lovely lens.

Anyway this is Cygnus rising at Southwold Pier, the foreground was taken around 5:30pm, then I headed to my parents in Gorleston for the night then hit the coast again around 4am for the sky. I wasnt going to post it but its good enough for now until i can get back to the coast to re capture the sky hopefully in focus..

Fuji XT-2, Fuji 16-55mm f2.8 lens.

Cygnus&themilkyway.jpg

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 22

What a numpty! 🤦‍♂️ I should really get to know my cameras and not leave things up to assumptions or hopeful thinking. After looking into it, the manual focus ring on my lens is actually useful and is combined with a focus range indicator on the LCD so I can test where infinity focus is on that indicator as use that when out imaging. We live and learn 😊

Edited by Rustang

13 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

I kinda like the "dreamy" look when zoomed in with the sharp foreground and the distant slightly defocused stars. Gives the image a sense of grand scale IMO.

I know what you mean, a happy accident then 😊

Edited by Rustang

Have enjoyed fish and chips on that pier many times. I like the soft stars which indirectly have upped the colour rather nicely. The contrast with the sharp illuminated pier gives the whole image a rather other worldly atmosphere which I really find intriguing. Nice one!

George

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hawksmoor said:

Have enjoyed fish and chips on that pier many times. I like the soft stars which indirectly have upped the colour rather nicely. The contrast with the sharp illuminated pier gives the whole image a rather other worldly atmosphere which I really find intriguing. Nice one!

George

I'm going to have to start saying I did it on purpose 😁

• Haha 1

On 13/02/2022 at 09:57, Rustang said:

I'm going to have to start saying I did it on purpose 😁

If you take a look at the Photopills YouTube channel Rafael 'The Bard' Pons keeps mentioning 'acceptable focus' when talking about the hyperfocal distance, I would say you have 'acceptable focus' 😄.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...