SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

V0351 Ori INSA light curve

This evening I've finished processing a light curve for V0351 Ori that I imaged on 10/02/2022.

V0351 Ori is nice bight variable and has a period of only 0.06456d (92.97 min), so is a nice target to get a light curve of a complete phase in a single evening. 

The curve below shows a magnitude range of 8.889 - 8.925 (TG) over a phase.  I will be trying this one again in the future when I have more time to see if the curve is exactly the same shape in each subsequent phase (I assume it is but would like to see it).

Hopefully others are inspired to give this target a go.

763486701_V0351Ori.png.0fa6bd7efd7f35c4dee81245a1039917.png

• Like 4

I've had another play with the data, and re-estimated the minima based on the data - below is the result.

I couldn't find a recent minima time reference online, hence the need to estimate it (having several complete phases would have made this much easier). 

Overall I'm please with the result, using the polynomial fit the magnitude variance is 8.891 to 8.924 TG, so a 0.033 variance, with residuals in a +- 0.037 range.

1321125096_V0351Ori2022-02-12FINAL.png.eb10d88dabb2386eadc3dc82356a57e7.png

Hi @JeremyS, many thanks, and thank you for the link to the paper too, I had not come across that one. Given the ideal position at the moment I will definitely be trying to image it for the whole evening weather permitting in the coming weeks -  though I find these days when I try to focus on a single variable for the whole evening I seem to be a bit of a cloud magnet!

In terms of software I like to use VStar (version 2.21.3) or just LibreOffice Calc. Recently I've been using Calc the most and doing the maths manually, in part because I put off installing Java on my new laptop, so had to dust off some long forgotten maths and have been enjoying it 😀.  The graphs above were all straight out of LibreOffice Calc.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 7170 said:

Hi @JeremyS, many thanks, and thank you for the link to the paper too, I had not come across that one. Given the ideal position at the moment I will definitely be trying to image it for the whole evening weather permitting in the coming weeks -  though I find these days when I try to focus on a single variable for the whole evening I seem to be a bit of a cloud magnet!

In terms of software I like to use VStar (version 2.21.3) or just LibreOffice Calc. Recently I've been using Calc the most and doing the maths manually, in part because I put off installing Java on my new laptop, so had to dust off some long forgotten maths and have been enjoying it 😀.  The graphs above were all straight out of LibreOffice Calc.

Great stuff James. If you want to get deeper into period analysis I can thoroughly recommend Peranso https://www.cbabelgium.com/peranso/downloads.html

You can try before you buy.

Excellent stuff!

Interesting article. What stands out for me is figures 2 and 3 which show that even though a lot of telescope time was spent on the star there are still very large gaps in the data and highlights well the important input amateurs can have here.

I do intend to get out the SLR to see what I can do with bright targets, but am still happy with visual obs with the binoculars at the moment. Although the weather certainly isn't playing ball right now!

It is encouraging to see light curves like this - I am very impressed with your results!

Dave

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@JeremyS I now have three more data runs to report back on. The first one below is from 24/2/2022. You can see towards the end the noise increases as it gets lower down in the sky (<20° Alt).

1072874722_V0351Ori24_2_2022.jpg.c7b094babcdc3a27ef610082a96e3da6.jpg

And the second (just straight out of AstroImageJ with no processing or calibration) from 25/2/2022, just two comparison stars used to see what it looked like:

50449576_25_2_2022Measurements.png.3fcc2d10c9cec4060ef8b0ba78f6a8ab.png

And the third is from yesterday - 27/2/2022 (again just straight out of AstroImageJ with no processing or calibration). This one was through the SCT but there were only five stars in the FOV so its relative flux only. Again the noise gets higher towards the end as it gets lower down in the sky below 20° Alt.

Measurements1.png.c910c133eff6e09114a00fa3e2ef3cf8.png

• Like 2