Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Broken Evolution 9.25" Tripod Repair?

BlueAstra

The plastic spreader legs on my Evolution 9.25" tripod (out of warranty) have broken at the clamp that goes around the leg. Specifically, the two plastic flanges on the leg clamp have fractured, leaving the intact spreader bar hanging in space. Does anyone know if this is repairable (or replaceable)? Can the plastic 'ends' of the tripod legs be removed to slide on a replacement? Or alternatively is there a more robust tripod solution for the Evolution 9.25"?

2.jpg

Edited by BlueAstra

I've managed to do a temporary repair so I can get back in action again. I took a metal strip of Meccano and cut some pieces to bridge the gap between the leg clamp and the spreader bar. Just needed to drill out the holes to fit the clamp screw and the pivot barrel in the spreader bar. I put two of the new pieces in each leg clamp and the tripod seems to extend normally. Need to add two thick washers in each joint to keep the bar central. In the original tripod if the legs are not drawn apart symmetrically it can easily put a twisting torque on the plastic leg clamps, which over time may weaken and break (as in my case). So if you have this tripod be very careful when you extend it.

b.jpg

a.jpg

• Like 1