SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ5 Deluxe slipping

neil phillips

I need to adjust the worm on the EQ5. But theres a contradiction i dont understand before i start. When i have the RA locked. and i move the scope a touch, it moves. In other words when the clutch is locked its not really holding it. By the time i tighten the clutch a lot so its holding better. The motor drive on the handset struggles to slew. (like its too tight)  Also when the clutch is unlocked the motors still move the mount suggesting its too tight. But how can it be too tight. If the scope is moving when the clutch is locked ?  say putting a eyepiece in ? its a contradiction i dont understand. I will start adjusting the mesh soon. But wondered what others think about what i am finding is happening here. Cheers for any insights guys 

BTW its now EQ5 Deluxe pro 

Edited by neil phillips

16 hours ago, malc-c said:

Sounds like a backlash issue with the worm.   With the clutches locked, make small adjustments on the RA worm alignment screws to take up the backlash, and see if that helps

Yes i agree it does sound like backlash. Just confused why it seems both loose and tight ? Will attempt it soon cheers Malc

Take the motors off and turn the worm by hand you'll feel what's happening by the resistance in the worm. Also check this through the whole rotation of the axis. My EQ5 with the backlash set nice for one part of the rotation of the axis will bind at another part. You have to find this point in the rotation and set the worm at that point. It does mean more backlash else where but you will have fixed the binding problem in the worm. You might consider striping down the axis and cleaning them the EQ5 has large bearing surfaces inside and these can get clogged up and cause binding in the axis or at least enough resistance to cause the motors to stutter mine does this every few years. I stripped and cleaned mine the other week as the DEC axis started binding (not the worms) Sometimes my EQ5 is annoying beyond belief but I have had it so long I don't have the heart to get rid of it even though I  have other mounts. Its like an old car that I'm actually quite fond of. 

Edited by StarryEyed

On 12/02/2022 at 23:00, StarryEyed said:

Take the motors off and turn the worm by hand you'll feel what's happening by the resistance in the worm. Also check this through the whole rotation of the axis. My EQ5 with the backlash set nice for one part of the rotation of the axis will bind at another part. You have to find this point in the rotation and set the worm at that point. It does mean more backlash else where but you will have fixed the binding problem in the worm. You might consider striping down the axis and cleaning them the EQ5 has large bearing surfaces inside and these can get clogged up and cause binding in the axis or at least enough resistance to cause the motors to stutter mine does this every few years. I stripped and cleaned mine the other week as the DEC axis started binding (not the worms) Sometimes my EQ5 is annoying beyond belief but I have had it so long I don't have the heart to get rid of it even though I  have other mounts. Its like an old car that I'm actually quite fond of. 

Just saw this thanks for the reply.. Yes uneven friction. Ive felt that too. Cheers for the tips. Will attempt it soon. Though i am still struggling to understand. How it can be both loose and a touch too tight at the same time ?

worm can be loose but the axis to tight. Their rudimentary but functional almost to rudimentary for motors particularly the way the worm is assembled. I have seen my worm smooth in one direction and lock in the reverse. A HEQ5 has all these things put right but still manafactured and assembled in a rudimentary way to keep the price down.

You just need to understand what your dealing with and set it up accordingly and your good to go within limits. Its a lot like buying a kit car that been put togeather in a hurry. You really want to take it apart check it and put it togeather taking your time. You can be sure that whoever assembled it at the factory was doing it as quick as possible. 

Mine must be fifteen hears old but stripping it down cleaning and new grease it good for a year or two then things start to play up again. Not sure how many more times I can take it apart before some of the metal will give way but I'm careful and thoughtful and I've had my moneys worth a few time over. 

Edited by StarryEyed

36 minutes ago, StarryEyed said:

worm can be loose but the axis to tight. Their rudimentary but functional almost to rudimentary for motors particularly the way the worm is assembled. I have seen my worm smooth in one direction and lock in the reverse. A HEQ5 has all these things put right but still manafactured and assembled in a rudimentary way to keep the price down.

You just need to understand what your dealing with and set it up accordingly and your good to go within limits. Its a lot like buying a kit car that been put togeather in a hurry. You really want to take it apart check it and put it togeather taking your time. You can be sure that whoever assembled it at the factory was doing it as quick as possible. 

Mine must be fifteen hears old but stripping it down cleaning and new grease it good for a year or two then things start to play up again. Not sure how many more times I can take it apart before some of the metal will give way but I'm careful and thoughtful and I've had my moneys worth a few time over. 

Was never a strong point for me stripping mounts down. More a use it than cure it guy. But of course at the very least i will have to mess with it. 

Cheers for the reply.