Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nagler 13 mm Type 5 or Pan 19 on a MAXBRIGHT 2?

Fedele

The wider the field, the harder it is to take it all in at once using binoviewers because you can't look off axis without losing one or both eyepiece views.  You are forced to rely on peripheral vision more and more the wider you go.  I find 60 to 70 degrees to be plenty wide when binoviewing for these reasons.  That, and apparent fields of view appear at least 5 degrees wider in binoviewer usage for some psychological reason.

I've recently found that the SVBONY 68° Ultra Wide Angle 20mm work great in binoviewer usage as I detailed in this post.  Of course, if you're not using a Barlow lens element to reach focus in a fast scope, they're not going to look as good to the edge.  However, since I'm operating at 3x with my Barlow nosepiece (a Meade 140 2x), these eyepieces are fantastic for an astigmatic eyeglass wearer like myself.

For very high powers, I use a pair of Celestron Regal 8-24mm spotting scope zoom eyepieces with the 3x nosepiece.  They were also sold under the Olivon label with their spotting scopes.  It's just too much of a pain swapping two eyepieces to change high powers in a binoviewer, so I compromise with zoom eyepieces.  However, at the slow f-ratio when operating at 3x, the zooms look fantastic as well.

• Like 1

So, 1.6mm off on the low side for the converted Tele Vue specified value of 40.6mm for the 13mm NT6.  The TV spec'ed 43.2mm value for the 19mm Pan and 16mm NT5 is off by 1.1mm on the low side for the former and 1mm off on the high side for the latter.  Even if TV had some rounding going on, I would have expected the 13mm NT6 and 16mm NT5 to have the same listed width.  My faith in Tele Vue spec accuracy has been shattered. 😱

On 11/02/2022 at 13:21, Louis D said:

So, 1.6mm off on the low side for the converted Tele Vue specified value of 40.6mm for the 13mm NT6.  The TV spec'ed 43.2mm value for the 19mm Pan and 16mm NT5 is off by 1.1mm on the low side for the former and 1mm off on the high side for the latter.  Even if TV had some rounding going on, I would have expected the 13mm NT6 and 16mm NT5 to have the same listed width.  My faith in Tele Vue spec accuracy has been shattered. 😱

LOL.  Their recommended setting for the 17mm Nagler was off by one setting, too.

ES has some wrong information in their eyepieces spec chart, Baader has some field stop errors in their eyepiece spec chart, APM has incorrect field stops listed for their UFF eyepieces.

I could go on and on.

As they say, Doveryai no proveryai: Trust, but verify.

Something to consider with fatter eyepieces in binoviewers is the eye relief. I can use Delos in binoviewers because the eye relief means I can hang back a bit. If they were short on eye relief and I had to get right up close to them I am not sure if there would be room for my nose!

You also have to consider how far your nose bridge protrudes relative to your eye sockets and how wide it is.  Someone with a very flat face would be much less restricted in eyepiece choice than someone with deeply set eyes and a prominent nose bridge, like myself.

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

You also have to consider how far your nose bridge protrudes relative to your eye sockets and how wide it is.  Someone with a very flat face would be much less restricted in eyepiece choice than someone with deeply set eyes and a prominent nose bridge, like myself.

Or you need a gangster: “allow me to rearrange your face”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1