SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observation Books; Old Favourites and Essentials.

Swithin StCleeve

These are fantastic little introductory observation guides and are ideal for anyone new to observing. They did retail for £9.99 each but can be had from used booksellers for little more than the cost of postage. 

Recommended.

20220501_130545.jpg

20220501_130604.jpg

20220501_130627.jpg

Edited by Franklin
  • Like 4

On 13/02/2022 at 12:04, Alan White said:

I have the top left one by Roger N Clark, a brilliant book in my view.

Totally agree. His sketches are a superb independent view of what you should expect from an 8” scope in a dark sky. And this book, the appendices, was the inspiration for me to write my own planisphere/skyview software. Not to mention his analysis of the sensitivity etc of the human eye. Really very good. But quite expensive/difficult to get hold of lately…

Magnus

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I had never heard of Burnham's Celestial Handbooks until I read this thread. As of last Friday I now the happy owner of Vols 2 and 3. They have already proved useful.

Sourced used (good) and delivered for the total sum of £12..well pleased, will be read for both enjoyment and along side TLAO and CDSA. The library is expanding.

• Like 3

On 20/06/2022 at 17:56, HarryLP said:

As of last Friday I now the happy owner of Vols 2 and 3

It's a Classic, but you've got to get VOL 1, not just for the first part of the alphabetical constellation thing, but for the introduction. Burnhams introduction which is in VOL 1 of the Celestial Handbook is, to my mind, probably the best description of what's going on up there that there is, however dated it may seem these days.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Franklin said:

It's a Classic, but you've got to get VOL 1, not just for the first part of the alphabetical constellation thing, but for the introduction. Burnhams introduction which is in VOL 1 of the Celestial Handbook is, to my mind, probably the best description of what's going on up there that there is, however dated it may seem these days.

I certainly intend to obtain Vol 1. It took about a month to source Vols 2 and 3 in good condition at a very reasonable cost. If all else fails there are new full cost copies around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HarryLP said:

I certainly intend to obtain Vol 1. It took about a month to source Vols 2 and 3 in good condition at a very reasonable cost. If all else fails there are new full cost copies around.

I've just gone the second hand route, vols 2 and 3 came first like yours. But it didn't take long for a decent copy of vol1 to come up.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2022 at 18:59, Swithin StCleeve said:

Thanks for the responses folks. I hope you like the book Fozzy, and I hope you got it cheap as chips. It doesn't include every Messier object, just most of them, but it does include a lot of NGC objects too.

I have three O'Meara books, and they are wonderful. The ones I don't have are the one on southern skies, which I'm not bothered about, but I also don't have Hidden Treasures, which is out of print. I don't want to buy a (quite pricey) copy of that in case it gets a second edition like The Messier Objects and Caldwell Objects books did. I'd love to know if they're planning one.

I’ve taken your recommendation and just bought myself a copy also. Looking forward to perusing it’s pages.

• 2 weeks later...

My most used book (Patrick Moore’s Exploring the Night Sky with binoculars) might seem completely impractical for someone using refractors from an urban location, but actually it’s perfect - it doesn’t waste time on objects I can’t see. it gives me most of the information I need, particularly on individual stars in each constellation - all presented in an accessible and economical way. If I need more, I then use Sky Safari. There’s something about Patrick’s no-nonsense approach, coupled with an enthusiasm which never faded, that makes him an excellent companion when stargazing. Whenever I take my telescope abroad, this book is also the first item in my suitcase.    
I’d also recommend Stargazing Under Suburban Skies, written by the Loughton Astronomical Society team, for light polluted locations. It’s one of the best Springer publications, and very thoughtfully laid out.

D1FDE33F-34BB-4E71-AFD8-7BC0A5BE8DAA.jpeg

F81D7A33-833F-496A-9FA3-5E15229CDC7A.jpeg

• Like 4

I picked up a used copy of this book which was recommended by a fellow SGL member. The glossy paper jacket has a few wrinkles but the book is in excellent condition 

C04EACF3-62CD-452F-BB25-BE77AAECDBDE.thumb.jpeg.6988aa251743dd615609a1d42fe3bfcf.jpeg

Edited by bosun21
Typo
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Highburymark said:

My most used book (Patrick Moore’s Exploring the Night Sky with binoculars) might seem completely impractical for someone using refractors from an urban location, but actually it’s perfect - it doesn’t waste time on objects I can’t see. it gives me most of the information I need, particularly on individual stars in each constellation - all presented in an accessible and economical way. If I need more, I then use Sky Safari. There’s something about Patrick’s no-nonsense approach, coupled with an enthusiasm which never faded, that makes him an excellent companion when stargazing. Whenever I take my telescope abroad, this book is also the first item in my suitcase.    
I’d also recommend Stargazing Under Suburban Skies, written by the Loughton Astronomical Society team, for light polluted locations. It’s one of the best Springer publications, and very thoughtfully laid out.

D1FDE33F-34BB-4E71-AFD8-7BC0A5BE8DAA.jpeg

F81D7A33-833F-496A-9FA3-5E15229CDC7A.jpeg

I just ordered a copy of exploring the night sky with binoculars from Amazon.

• Like 3

On 01/07/2022 at 22:25, bosun21 said:

I just ordered a copy of exploring the night sky with binoculars from Amazon.

My copy arrived today from Amazon Albeit via the UK paid 8 euros for it

IMG20220709181713.jpg

Edited by fozzybear
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

My copy arrived today from Amazon Albeit via the UK paid 8 euros for it

Mine is supposed to be arriving today as well (before 8pm) but I won’t be holding my breath.

My copies of The Cambridge Deep-Sky Album and A Briefer History Of Time arrived yesterday. Both in excellent condition. The Deep Sky-Album even has a professionally fitted plastic sleeve over the dust cover; apart from 3 library stamps, 2 of which are so faint I can just about read, the 3rd "Belfast Public Library" which made me smile thinking of "Coals to Newcastle". The paperback not even a spine crease, spotless inside.  Just over £7 delivered total. 

Just waiting for Burnham's Vol 1 to be delivered from the states.

• Like 2