SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observation Books; Old Favourites and Essentials.

Swithin StCleeve

2 hours ago, fozzybear said:

Well they arrived Today in the post very happy indeed many thanks for the suggestion @Swithin StCleeve

IMG20220221183229.jpg

Your Messier album is in a lot better nick than mine! Glad you're pleased.

I've ordered the first Burnhams book from recommendations on this thread, it's not arrived yet. I'm pleased to say it looks quite chunky from your photograph! 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Swithin StCleeve said:

I've ordered the first Burnhams book from recommendations on this thread, it's not arrived yet. I'm pleased to say it looks quite chunky from your photograph! 

the third one is the thickest of the 3 all three came from Germany from a Dr Woolfgang the are average 700 pages each 2138 in total across the 3 volumes

IMG20220221212614.jpg

Edited by fozzybear
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Swithin StCleeve said:

it even had an oxfam sticker for £1.50 stuck to the back i removed that as i thought not fair 

6 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Presume you know Burnham’s story and his sad demise, destitute https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Burnham_Jr.

what a incredible man yet short lived

Burnham died destitute and alone at the age of sixty-one in 1993. His family did not learn about his death (apparently by his choice) until two years later, and didn't report it to the press even then because they were unaware of his stature in the amateur astronomy community

16 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

what a incredible man yet short lived

The introduction in volume 1 of the Celestial Handbook is the best introduction to astronomy I've ever read. Burnhams style of writing is very readable and his passion for observational astronomy echoes throughout the whole work. Some say it is a little dated and yes, the co-ordinates used are from epoch 1950 but Burnhams descriptions are timeless.

If I was stuck on a desert island with a telescope and only one book, that book would be Burnhams Celestial Handbook Vol 1,2,3, though I might have to sneak in an old copy of Nortons to compliment it, when no one was looking.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Classic!

If you pick up an older edition (epoch1950) which are cheap as chips, the co-ordinates follow with those printed in Burnhams and the page no's in the index.

which edition? now you have got me at it again

16 minutes ago, Franklin said:

I think the 17th ed was the last epoch1950, not sure, should say inside the cover of 19th ed epoch 2000 that you have. Either way it's the one that Ian Ridpath didn't edit.

image.png.5bfd8f1ac3968664536621587348833c.png

correct 17th edition on the hunt for