Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My new mount- G11

markse68

I've been learning AP on a GM8 I picked up last year and having a lot of fun with it- it's a lovely little mount. I fitted a polar alignment camera and made some tucked in motors for it and it's been doing great for its size with my 8" f4.5 newt, but it doesn't really like the wind much. And now I've moved up onto the roof, there's a lot more wind!

GM8.thumb.jpg.0e2d6d5b9de6f8189ade76016bfe0065.jpg

This turned up the other week for a pretty good price, missing a few bits, but I figured I could use the parts from its baby brother- they fit perfectly.

G11.thumb.jpg.8184ac6687338118a38464218f8975ee.jpg

627002049_G112.thumb.jpg.dd8fc6041ea112bd0e2376cb9233419d.jpg

With twice the diameter worms it'll hopefully handle wind gusts a bit better. Any backlash in the worms will also result in half the angular error. It weighs a bit more with the increase in size and a change from aluminium to steel axles. Feels very solid and moves very smoothly after a clean, lube and adjust.

They're very nice mounts these Losmandys- beautifully machined and super simple to service. The polar adjustment is really a joy to use. The Gemini electronics, though I guess a bit outdated, work very well when hooked up to APT etc with the serial-USB port.

Mark

• Like 5

I have a G11, purchased new back in 2009, and it is a great mount. I've been using it with an ASI Air Pro, so don't use Gemini much, but if you have Gemini-2, it's quite a good system once you learn all it can do. I see yours has been modified as you have a belts on the RA and DEC axes. Hope you enjoy using it.

Edited by iantaylor2uk
Typo
  • Like 1