Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron X-Cel LX vs Meade 4000 series Super Plossl Eyepiece (japan)

ninjageezer

As in the title really.which are the best for planetary work ,Celestron X-Cel LX vs the older meade 4000 series the ones made in japan some time ago ,japan stamped on the chrome .

any thoughts .to be used on a 10 inch skywatcher dobsonian.

i have the chance to get some of the older meade used for a decent price or i can go new with the celestron.

MultiQuote

Edit

The coatings on the X-Cel LX are better.  The old S4000 Japanese "Super Plössl" had excellent polish, but lesser coatings so more internal light scatter on very bright targets like planets and Moon.

Also, eye relief on the X-Cel LX will be consistent across the line, where the older "Super Plössls" will have an eye relief of approximately focal length x 0.7.

Only usable with glasses longer than 25mm.

The S4000 came in 3 Japanese versions:

1) 5 element, smooth side, no rubber eyecup, Japan stamped in the black aluminum

2) 5 element, with rubber eyecup, Japan stamped in the black aluminum

3) 4 element, with rubber eyecup, Japan stamped in the chrome barrel.

The S4000 have had multiple versions over the years, one from Taiwan, and several from China, but those 3 versions are the only ones I know of from Japan.

In a SkyWatcher Dob, I'd get the X-Cel LX:

--more comfortable eye relief, especially at high powers for planet viewing.

--more modern coatings

--more drift time before you need to move the scope because of a wider true field and wider apparent field.

Another competitor of the X-Cel LX you might look at is the BST Starguider eyepieces from FLO.  Might be a bit less expensive and pretty much equal.

Presumably the smoothside 5-element Meades were the pseudo Masuyamas made by Kowa? If it’s these you are talking about they’d be very nice. The equivalent Celestron Ultimas are really lovely eyepieces. Bow to Don’s greater knowledge on coatings though, and the X Cel LX seem to be well thought of.

If those Meade's were the original 5 element smoothies for a decent price, I'd grab them because they'd be an easy resale if you didn't like them.

The Meade HD-60s are discontinued and only available used.  I wrote up the following thread comparing them to the Starguiders.

Indeed, minus the 6.5mm and 12mm focal lengths.  However, minus VAT, they equate to 104 USD each which is a bit on the high side.  That would be over $600 for a complete set if they were all available.  Just a few years ago, they were only $400 for a complete set including custom case (before tax).

On 09/02/2022 at 15:43, Don Pensack said:

The coatings on the X-Cel LX are better.  The old S4000 Japanese "Super Plössl" had excellent polish, but lesser coatings so more internal light scatter on very bright targets like planets and Moon.

Also, eye relief on the X-Cel LX will be consistent across the line, where the older "Super Plössls" will have an eye relief of approximately focal length x 0.7.

Only usable with glasses longer than 25mm.

The S4000 came in 3 Japanese versions:

1) 5 element, smooth side, no rubber eyecup, Japan stamped in the black aluminum

2) 5 element, with rubber eyecup, Japan stamped in the black aluminum

3) 4 element, with rubber eyecup, Japan stamped in the chrome barrel.

The S4000 have had multiple versions over the years, one from Taiwan, and several from China, but those 3 versions are the only ones I know of from Japan.

In a SkyWatcher Dob, I'd get the X-Cel LX:

--more comfortable eye relief, especially at high powers for planet viewing.

--more modern coatings

--more drift time before you need to move the scope because of a wider true field and wider apparent field.

Another competitor of the X-Cel LX you might look at is the BST Starguider eyepieces from FLO.  Might be a bit less expensive and pretty much equal.

Many thanks