SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Adding a usb flash drive to a Raspberry Pi4 running Stellarmate OS

LaurenceT

I'm just getting to grips with Stellarmate OS on a Pi4, I've got to the stage where all my equipment is connected and all drivers installed, I can control the mount from my Windows laptop remotely. Rather than have the image data sent back over wifi to the Win10 machine during an imaging session I'd like to add a usb stick to the Pi but I have a couple of questions before I start and muck everything up!

My knowledge of Linux is restricted to being able to open a terminal window and type in exactly what I'm told to. I will simply connect the Pi to a mains power source and connect a monitor, keyboard and mouse for this process.

So,

1) what do I need to type into terminal to permanently mount the usb drive?

2) how do I create a directory on the usb drive to store the image files as they are created during an imaging session?

3) how will I be able to transfer these files back to my Windows machine for editing?

Sorry for all the noob questions and thanks for looking

7 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

Thanks for the reply, I've just found a 64Gb USB flash drive so I'll format it to Fat32 and stick it in the Pi. My only concern is creating a folder to save the images to.

With stellarmate, the Pi will save images to the appropriate subfolder on the SD card in the 'pictures' folder e.g. flats, lights, darks etc. I then then create folders on the flash drive which you can do in the file exporer in the Rpi when I copy over. Whilst I understand you want to have the images go directly to the flash drive, I am not sure what the advantage would be and creates another layer of potential error. 

1 hour ago, Richard Wesson said:

With stellarmate, the Pi will save images to the appropriate subfolder on the SD card in the 'pictures' folder e.g. flats, lights, darks etc. I then then create folders on the flash drive which you can do in the file exporer in the Rpi when I copy over. Whilst I understand you want to have the images go directly to the flash drive, I am not sure what the advantage would be and creates another layer of potential error. 

The sd card with Stellarmate OS on is possibly not big enough to contain all the data, that's why I thought a USB drive just dedicated to data storage would be a neater solution.

You can make the folder on the usb drive using your windows machine and then plug it in to the stellarmate and then just tell Ekos to store them on the usb drive… you don’t need to use the terminal.

If you do want to do it on the stellarmate you can do it using the  built in file manager application or the terminal…

I don’t have a Stellarmate to check- but if you plug in the usb drive, open a terminal and type df -h and press enter that should list all of the drives and should show where the usb drive is attached…there’ll be a line that starts something like  /dev/sda… the last part of that line tells you where the usb drive is in the folder structure…in my case it /media/astroberry/Sandisk …(Note Sandisk is the volume label I gave to the disk in windows)

To create a folder called pics on the drive I would type:

mkdir /media/astroberry/Sandisk/pics

note- it’s case sensitive.

• Thanks 1