Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar prominence - 7th Feb 2022

Stu

Posted elsewhere but I thought I would add this here as well.

Between the clouds, I finally managed to see the huge prominence on the limb of the Sun today. The seeing was quite poor, and whilst this made the surface detail a bit blurry the prominence still showed up very well.

I was using my 102mm PST mod on an AZ75 mount with binoviewers for observing. I took the shot handheld over one eyepiece using my iPhone 11Pro’s x2 camera. Captured using ProCam 8 and shown in the first shot totally unprocessed, and the second one with a bit of inept fiddling in PS Express. I’ll try again when I have more time to see if it can be improved. The metadata says ISO 80, f2 and 122th second exposure.

A4F8883B-EF40-40F5-B75A-1F53C75E19DA.jpeg

4D491F98-257F-4CA6-8282-3DDAA9EA1D40.jpeg

30E40CEA-8DB1-437B-9E38-92BAE8D98B57.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Merlin said:

A good shot of the prom. Alas, it’s been too cloudy at this site for PSTing. How did you adapt the binoviewer for use with your PST? Do you use a Barlow?

Thanks. Yes, I have a 1.25” barrel on the binoviewer and a x2 barlow element screwed into the barrel which allows it to reach focus. I’m experimenting with GPCs to see if they give any better results, I have a x1.7 and x2.6 but haven’t been able to test it out yet.

This setup is mainly aimed at high power views of prominences. Surface detail is not as contrasty as a double stack smaller scope but the proms are amazing.

I popped the pst on a tripod yesterday and viewed that. Nice to see an image of it stu. Yes, huge best describes it. There was a much smaller prom on the opposite limb too. I really need to work out the orientation of the image so I know which limb I'm referring to... 

21 minutes ago, skyhog said:

I really need to work out the orientation of the image so I know which limb I'm referring to... 

Does the Gong data help? This is today, can’t work out how to get back to yesterday.

CC9C9803-B8BB-4366-94F8-11C238DD0B07.jpeg

Forgive my ignorance but I can't see any indicators on that image that refer to orientation. I know this has been a topic once or twice, defining East West etc with regard to solar observing. Not something I tend to think about whilst observing but I should have it in mind I suppose...

21 minutes ago, skyhog said:

Forgive my ignorance but I can't see any indicators on that image that refer to orientation. I know this has been a topic once or twice, defining East West etc with regard to solar observing. Not something I tend to think about whilst observing but I should have it in mind I suppose...

No ignorance involved, I should have thought it through more’ 🤪🤣. I assumed it would be standard orientation as we see it from Earth, but I found this info which should help:

https://gong.nso.edu/data/DMAC_documentation/Vmbical/GONG_Image_Orientation.html

Without allowing for the offset ie just a 90 degrees counterclockwise rotation and horizontal flip you get this, which should be roughly north up, east left. Not sure how significant the offset is to the rotation part though, I haven’t done the calculation.

1D1086B2-89E2-4CE5-886E-A7782D30F2E7.jpeg

4 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Don't forget that although the PST's eyepiece is a right angles to the line of sight, the prism used to perform this is a pentaprism so the orientation is that of a refractor without a diagonal.         🙂 

Peter, I thought the image looking down into a PST from behind has S at the top, N at the bottom, W to the left and E to the right.  I hope that's what you mean as that's how I lable my sketches 😊

34 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Peter, I thought the image looking down into a PST from behind has S at the top, N at the bottom, W to the left and E to the right.  I hope that's what you mean as that's how I lable my sketches 😊

Found this which may be useful 🤣

1C5B1C7C-C945-4136-BD5C-92130CF26B0C.jpeg

• Like 1