SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

After pretty much giving up on my newly acquired astro modifed 6D for anything other than landscape, I decided to give it one last go with a new lens I picked up cheap. I sold a couple of other astro items recently and saw a Samyang 85mm f1.4 forsale for £100, it was worth a punt at that price.

Friday night I knew I was going to be under good bortle 4 skies so took my Star Adventurer with me. Below is the result of an hours worth of data at 90 sec subs f2.8 iso 800.

I had the data but again I was really struggling to process it until I got a tip off about the 'Astro flat' plug in for photoshop. To say it helped is an understatement and finally gave me a chance to process my data with out any gremlins appearing through the early stretching. My processing still needs improving on but I'm so happy with the result and the detail in the image.

Orionat85mm.jpg

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 14

Great image, that. The 6D and 85mm Samyang fit Orion in really nicely. Out of interest, did you find you have much CA with the Samyang? Mine seemed to struggle a lot with fringing - can all be processed out but a little annoying!

What challenges have you been having with the 6D? We have very similar setups so keen to hear. I’ve not taken mine to the limit on deep sky yet. As you know, I love it for Astro landscapes. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

Nicely done @Rustang, have you thought about processing these widefield images in something like Siril?  Had some great results using it on widefield images with the Samyang 135mm, just have to make sure the calibration files are good.  I still stack in DSS though as it is easier to use.

Thanks 😊

Steve (alacant) very kindly did me video tutorial to get me started with Siril but I haven't quite cracked it yet. I just can't seem to get a set of flats that work either so still currently stacking in DSS and processing in PS. 

2 minutes ago, Rustang said:

flats

Do you use the aperture setting when making your flats?  Also a lower brightness flat panel.  I found that my initial flats with the modded 6D were too bright.  I also had issues as I tried using the live view for a softer shutter, turns out that causes some dodgy flare and light in my images.

57 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

Great image, that. The 6D and 85mm Samyang fit Orion in really nicely. Out of interest, did you find you have much CA with the Samyang? Mine seemed to struggle a lot with fringing - can all be processed out but a little annoying!

What challenges have you been having with the 6D? We have very similar setups so keen to hear. I’ve not taken mine to the limit on deep sky yet. As you know, I love it for Astro landscapes. 

Thanks 😊 il be honest I wasn't taking much notice of the stars, I was to excited by all the details coming through! 😁 What ever you see on the stars is how they came out in the stack, I haven't processed them in anyway. Il check the subs though tomorrow when I get a moment. What I have noticed though is the corners have some abbreviations but not to bad, at least its fairly sharp in the corners! I've cropped it a little too. 

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

Do you use the aperture setting when making your flats?  Also a lower brightness flat panel.  I found that my initial flats with the modded 6D were too bright.  I also had issues as I tried using the live view for a softer shutter, turns out that causes some dodgy flare and light in my images.

I've tried many different ways, the latest now slightly lightens the vignetting instead of removing it. I've tried, 1 second flats, 2 second flats, covered the view finder, taken in a dark room, had the peak in varying positions on the histogram etc, etc. Fed up with taking them now. Maybe it's the Led panel that's at fault but I'm pretty sure others have success with them. I also don't take them after the session. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FenlandPaul said:

Forgot to answer your other part. Mostly issues with cheaper lens and then the processing of the data. Until this image and using the  'astro flat' plug in, I would only get a short way in to stretching and it would go horrible quickly and I just couldn't process out the un even gradients. I've been using my Fuji XT-2 for all the Star trail images and it's been awesome, I was hoping to use the 6D for more of this kind of wide field stuff and only just getting there now. I will certainly be using it when the Milkyway season starts again 😊 I think better quality len's really help and this image data was captured in decent bortle 4 skies which makes a difference. 

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rustang said:

Forgot to answer your other part. Mostly issues with cheaper lens and then the processing of the data. Until this image and using the  'astro flat' plug in, I would only get a short way in to stretching and it would go horrible quickly and I just couldn't process out the un even gradients. I've been using my Fuji XT-2 for all the Star trail images and it's been awesome, I was hoping to use the 6D for more of this kind of wide field stuff and only just getting there now. I will certainly be using it when the Milkyway season starts again 😊 I think better quality len's really help and this image data was captured in decent bortle 4 skies which makes a difference. 

I know what you mean about stretching pulling out some horribleness!!  Have you tried darks and flats? I know it sounds like a massive faff, but it does allow that little bit more to be pulled out of the data.

The gradient plug-in tools in Photoshop really are quite special! I’ve tried Gradient Xterminator and AstroFlatPro - both just do things that can only be explained by black magic!! 🤣🤣

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

I know what you mean about stretching pulling out some horribleness!!  Have you tried darks and flats? I know it sounds like a massive faff, but it does allow that little bit more to be pulled out of the data.

The gradient plug-in tools in Photoshop really are quite special! I’ve tried Gradient Xterminator and AstroFlatPro - both just do things that can only be explained by black magic!! 🤣🤣

I've been informed many times that darks are useless with DSLRs, I shoot bias and as said above to Zummerzet_Leveller, I've really tried to get good flats but keep failing. Gradient xterminator has been great in the past with data from my main set up but it's not been much help with my camera and lens data. AstroFlat just sorted things out today in one fell swoop 😊

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 1

Just now, Rustang said:

I've been informed many times that darks are useless with DSLRs, I shoot bias and as said above to Zummerzet_Leveller, I've really tried to get good flats but keep failing. Gradient xterminator has been great in the past with data from my main set up but it's not been much help with my camera and lens data. AstroFlat just sorted things out today in one foul swop 😊

I’ve also heard that about dslrs. All I know is that when I stretch a lot without them I have weird primary coloured streaks in my image, going across a few pixels each, that take quite a while to get rid of afterwards! No idea what it is, but dark frames seem mostly to get rid of them.

3 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

I’ve also heard that about dslrs. All I know is that when I stretch a lot without them I have weird primary coloured streaks in my image, going across a few pixels each, that take quite a while to get rid of afterwards! No idea what it is, but dark frames seem mostly to get rid of them.

It's like a lot of things in this game, some things work for some, some don't but if you can find anyway to help you process your hard earned data then that's all that's matters. It really is a crazy hobby this one 😊

17 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

Oooh, that’s nice. 👍

Thanks Paul, the stars were a menace, as in so many and I need a stop down ring to remove their flares but it's still a better version. 

Edited by Rustang

• 3 weeks later...