SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cone Nebula

Allinthehead

Hi all. The fruits of Friday nights clear sky. This image is the first pane of a planned 3 panel mosaic, hopefully I have time to finish it this year.

4.5 hours rgb in 180 second subs at gain 0 with the Asi2600mc through my Tak Epsilon 160ed, mounted on my AzEq6

I had a little Ha from a few years ago which I added in, unfortunately it didn't cover this FOV so I added it selectively to the cone area mainly.

Processed in APP, PI and PS

Richard.

620270796_ConeFinal.thumb.png.02e46af0e86d16df7eddb115d13ddbf8.png

Added Ha 

2117940123_ConeFinalHa.thumb.png.bdbe9b859cff8cde733f03e6d5d2f8cc.png

Edited by Allinthehead
Ha Added
  • Like 40

22 hours ago, Sp@ce_d said:

Oh... wow, that is rather nice.. lovely processing. I'm still amazed at what "just" four and a half hours of OSC can reveal these days.. love it 👍

Thanks, glad you like it. Fast optics really help and the Imx571 is a great sensor.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/02/2022 at 10:03, Mr Spock said:

Looks great 👍 It's nice to see the whole thing and not just the cone bit.

Thanks Michael, nice to get Hubble's Variable in there too.

22 hours ago, Daniel Karl said:

Love it!

I need to try to get some RGB stars some day ... tried this one from London last night despite the wind.

Thanks Daniel, yours look great.

21 hours ago, DrMike said:

A terrific image, what with the dark dust clouds, H-alpha nebulosity and star clusters. Brilliant!

Thank you Mike.

16 minutes ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

Beautiful, blows mine out of the water.  Super impressive to get that quality with the moon about and no filter.  I see you are using Gain 0 on the 2600MC do you find it provides better dynamic range?

Thanks, the rgb was captured without the 🌙 and ha with. 

Dynamic range is definitely improved at gain 0, fwhm is lower and sub exposures are longer. I will continue with gain 0 for now. 

Richard.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Allinthehead said:

Dynamic range is definitely improved at gain 0, fwhm is lower and sub exposures are longer. I will continue with gain 0 for now. 

I guess having a fast scope helps too, although 180s exposures are not too long.  With the f3.3 would longer exposures give you star trouble?  I might give Gain 0 a go on a target, if the gales and rain move on.

On 06/02/2022 at 12:41, Allinthehead said:

Hi all. The fruits of Friday nights clear sky. This image is the first pane of a planned 3 panel mosaic, hopefully I have time to finish it this year.

4.5 hours rgb in 180 second subs at gain 0 with the Asi2600mc through my Tak Epsilon 160ed, mounted on my AzEq6

I had a little Ha from a few years ago which I added in, unfortunately it didn't cover this FOV so I added it selectively to the cone area mainly.

Processed in APP, PI and PS

Richard.

620270796_ConeFinal.thumb.png.02e46af0e86d16df7eddb115d13ddbf8.png

Added Ha 

2117940123_ConeFinalHa.thumb.png.bdbe9b859cff8cde733f03e6d5d2f8cc.png

That Ha Added version is sumptuous Richard! The mix of Ha, Reflection Nebula, and beautifully processed stars makes for a really great image.

Ps - Congrats on the IOTD on Astrobin btw! I haven't been that active on the forums lately, but it popped up on my phone this morning on the AB App 🙂

On 23/02/2022 at 10:13, Xiga said:

That Ha Added version is sumptuous Richard! The mix of Ha, Reflection Nebula, and beautifully processed stars makes for a really great image.

Ps - Congrats on the IOTD on Astrobin btw! I haven't been that active on the forums lately, but it popped up on my phone this morning on the AB App 🙂

Thanks Ciarán much appreciated. I've been quiet here too lately. Work is hectic and imaging conditions have been poor.

1 hour ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks Ciarán much appreciated. I've been quiet here too lately. Work is hectic and imaging conditions have been poor.

It's been quite the winter of discontent as far as trying to get any AP done, hasn't it?! I think i've manged 2 'attempts' since September, neither of which were particularly fruitful. You do have to wonder if we are all a bit mad, taking up a hobby that you can't actually do 99% of the time 😅 🤨 😐 😑

ps - Cool to see Hubble's Variable in there. Have you tried blinking your subs to see if you caught any slight ripples? Maybe 4.5 hrs isn't a long enough period of time, but it could be fun to check. 

48 minutes ago, Xiga said:

It's been quite the winter of discontent as far as trying to get any AP done, hasn't it?! I think i've manged 2 'attempts' since September, neither of which were particularly fruitful. You do have to wonder if we are all a bit mad, taking up a hobby that you can't actually do 99% of the time 😅 🤨 😐 😑

Yup we're mad, I often think about the money spent and wonder if it's worth the expense, but lets face it astrophotography is cool😀

51 minutes ago, Xiga said:

ps - Cool to see Hubble's Variable in there. Have you tried blinking your subs to see if you caught any slight ripples? Maybe 4.5 hrs isn't a long enough period of time, but it could be fun to check. 

Would we see it vary over that short time? Might be worth a shot. How would I go about checking?

6 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Would we see it vary over that short time? Might be worth a shot. How would I go about checking?

Did a little research. Yeah it wouldn't show it in such a short period of time. Turns out you would need to have some subs (though not many) taken every day (or every 2 or 3) for a month at least. The longer the better obviously, but if you managed a few months then you'd have a good chance of making a cool animation showing some ripples and maybe even some movement of dark dust. So not very likely to happen, given our skies, but still pretty cool stuff 😃

On 26/02/2022 at 01:03, Xiga said:

Did a little research. Yeah it wouldn't show it in such a short period of time. Turns out you would need to have some subs (though not many) taken every day (or every 2 or 3) for a month at least. The longer the better obviously, but if you managed a few months then you'd have a good chance of making a cool animation showing some ripples and maybe even some movement of dark dust. So not very likely to happen, given our skies, but still pretty cool stuff 😃

Might be worth pointing at again next year, get a few subs over a few months.

• Like 1