Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Organising an imaging session to show friends

AstroNebulee

Hi

I am 100‰ an imager and my setup is for imaging. But my partner will be holding a get together for some friends and they want to learn some stargazing with me as they are impressed with my images. 

My set up is sw 72ed AzGti eq mode, asiair pro, zwo asi294mc pro. 

Now I don't want to dismantle my set up for imaging to do an observing session. So do you think it's feasible to slew to targets and take a quick 20-30 sec single sub image to show them various targets, obviously not faint nebula of small galaxies but clusters and other larger targets. Its so much easier to quickly slew to a target, plate solve take an image quickly and point into the sky where it is located. I will have my binoculars for them to use to see large asterisums

• Like 1

Why just so short exposure, I think it would be impressive but maybe with 2 to 3 minute subs, if your setup can track well enough, and whilst the exposure is on bring up an image (taken of the web( ) of the target you are imaging and maybe a quick explanation of how you would normally stack the images to create a more impressive final image.

Steve

• Thanks 1

Do they drink ?
If so plying them with some wine works well to impress 🙂 

Seriously though what you are doing is not easy, I have had a few friends that have seen my images and want to come round one night, but always put them off, as I think they expect to look through the scope, or on the screen, and see Hubble quality images in real time and no idea what actually goes into the images.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Why just so short exposure, I think it would be impressive but maybe with 2 to 3 minute subs, if your setup can track well enough, and whilst the exposure is on bring up an image (taken of the web( ) of the target you are imaging and maybe a quick explanation of how you would normally stack the images to create a more impressive final image.

Steve

Thank you that's a good suggestion. Just looking for ideas as I don't really want to dismantle my set up to fit the diagonal and eyepiece for this session. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Do they drink ?
If so plying them with some wine works well to impress 🙂 

Seriously though what you are doing is not easy, I have had a few friends that have seen my images and want to come round one night but always put them off as I think they expect to look through the scope, or on the screen and see Hubble quality images in real time and no ide what actually goes into the images.

Steve

Yes they do drink haha. Totally agree with you on wgat they've seen of my images abd what they expect. I've saud they won't look anything like the finished article. I think I can keep it in EQ mode and run with synscan on my phone and replace the osc with ep,but would rather not. 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

I do not know exactly what imaging software you use but I always think if you use Stellarium and show them whats in the night sky at the exact time you are imaging and then demonstrate how you can click and go to a target, then platesolve and get the exact framing that is very impressive (well it impressed me no end only a couple of years ago when I stared plate solving). Then just to even get a feint outline of that target would impress.

So as I say not sure if you use plate solving but just a thought.

Biggest problem might be ordering a clear night for an organised get together, but you are in one of the better parts of UK for it, God knows how many get togethers I would need in Yorkshire to get a clear night 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

asiair pro

You should also have the option of using the Live Stack feature too. This could give you a few more options.  Maybe the shorter subs but more of them or some longer ones for certain targets. 

A little reading required and by the sounds of it, if you can get away without calibration frames it would be easier. 

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 2

Based on my own personal experience friends have been most impressed with seeing planets and moon in detail.

Single subs of other targets tend to disappoint people who all too often seem to expect Hubble quality images out of every scope in seconds. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I do not know exactly what imaging software you use but I always think if you use Stellarium and show them whats in the night sky at the exact time you are imaging and then demonstrate how you can click and go to a target, then platesolve and get the exact framing that is very impressive (well it impressed me no end only a couple of years ago when I stared plate solving). Then just to even get a feint outline of that target would impress.

So as I say not sure if you use plate solving but just a thought.

Biggest problem might be ordering a clear night for an organised get together, but you are in one of the better parts of UK for it, God knows how many get togethers I would need in Yorkshire to get a clear night 🙂 

I plate solve with my asiair pro so easy enough with that. I like the idea too of using stellarium or sky safari to say, get let's go view this that or the other then slew to it, plate solve and take a shot, then boom there you are, hopefully inspired people. 

Yep ordering a clear night will be priority and also bring their wallets with them as I'm sure they will want to upgrade or get into astronomy haha. The other half's probably not though 😂

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, geeklee said:

You should also have the option of using the Live Stack feature too. This could give you a few more options.  Maybe the shorter subs but more of them or some longer ones stacked for some targets. 

A little reading required and by the sounds of it, if you can get away with calibration frames it would be easier. 

Brilliant idea, thank you, this is why I posted here to get ideas and advice, as I'm generally best sitting on my own imaging one target for the night haha, prefer my own company personally 😉

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, 7170 said:

Based on my own personal experience friends have been most impressed with seeing planets and moon in detail.

Single subs of other targets tend to disappoint people who all too often seem to expect Hubble quality images out of every scope in seconds. 

They know I only image nebula and galaxies really and seen my images. The moony occasionally, and they certainly know I'm not near hubble quality as I tell them haha. 

I've been considering the same recently, problem is I just don't think astrophotography is much of a spectator sport. Most people's enjoyment starts and ends when it comes to the final polished picture but they don't really have much more than a passing interest in the technical stuff and hours of sitting around that goes on behind the scenes. Sure, scope slewing and platesolving can look cool but then sitting and talking through guiding errors, filter choice and polar alignment in the freezing cold will put most to sleep, compared to other astrophotographers that would talk all night about that stuff.

Your best bet could be to have a dual setup going, talk them through the imaging side and have that running in the background, but also have a visual scope to show them the real stuff as well- then you can give the finished picture the next day as a memento. Have some deck chairs so you can lay back, look at different constellations and watch for meteors. Combined with some drinks it gives a bit more variety to things.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CloudMagnet said:

I've been considering the same recently, problem is I just don't think astrophotography is much of a spectator sport

Ha Ha, for me thats the quote of the year on SGL so far.
I think that's probably what @AstroNebulee is worried about, but worth a go and throw some wine in just in case 🙂 

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Ha Ha, for me thats the quote of the year on SGL so far.
I think that's probably what @AstroNebulee is worried about

"Right everyone, it's time to head inside and process this. I've set up chairs behind my computer so you can watch me for the next X hours as I get this into something I think you'll really like..." 😅

Edited by geeklee
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, geeklee said:

"Right everyone, it's time to head inside and process this. I've set up chairs behind my computer so you can watch me for the next X hours as I get this into something I think you'll really like..." 😅

"Oh wait, no- think I messed up the colour balance on one of the layers, need to delete 5hrs work and start again, is everyone still.... hello?"

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, AstroNebulee said:

Hi

I am 100‰ an imager and my setup is for imaging. But my partner will be holding a get together for some friends and they want to learn some stargazing with me as they are impressed with my images. 

My set up is sw 72ed AzGti eq mode, asiair pro, zwo asi294mc pro. 

Now I don't want to dismantle my set up for imaging to do an observing session. So do you think it's feasible to slew to targets and take a quick 20-30 sec single sub image to show them various targets, obviously not faint nebula of small galaxies but clusters and other larger targets. Its so much easier to quickly slew to a target, plate solve take an image quickly and point into the sky where it is located. I will have my binoculars for them to use to see large asterisums

I have to say I'm not an imager by any stretch but i think your idea would definitely work. I had some neighbours around last night to show them a few things visually which they enjoyed but as I know one of them is interested in photography I popped my canon on one of the scopes and took at 30second unguided shot just to show how much the camera can pick up that we can't see directly. They were really impressed.

So with your gear and expertise a few short choice shots would I'm sure go down really well and as you'll have your bins handy you can challenge them to maybe even find the objects you're shooting. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was gonna suggest the live view, haven't tried it myself but did do with OACapture on astroberry.

Another option is to use a flip diagonal, eyepiece goes into top tube, camera in tube in line with telescope. So you can change between visual and imaging literally with the flip of a switch. I use it quite often as sometimes I like doing both.

When viewing just be firm that they are NOT TO TOUCH THE TELESCOPE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, CloudMagnet said:

I've been considering the same recently, problem is I just don't think astrophotography is much of a spectator sport. Most people's enjoyment starts and ends when it comes to the final polished picture but they don't really have much more than a passing interest in the technical stuff and hours of sitting around that goes on behind the scenes. Sure, scope slewing and platesolving can look cool but then sitting and talking through guiding errors, filter choice and polar alignment in the freezing cold will put most to sleep, compared to other astrophotographers that would talk all night about that stuff.

Your best bet could be to have a dual setup going, talk them through the imaging side and have that running in the background, but also have a visual scope to show them the real stuff as well- then you can give the finished picture the next day as a memento. Have some deck chairs so you can lay back, look at different constellations and watch for meteors. Combined with some drinks it gives a bit more variety to things.

Haha, I like that 😂. I'm going to pitch the idea to sky sports now 😂, on your suggestion of another scope I'd love to have another scope to set up, another az gti mount and scope would be great. One of my partner friends bf has a scope so I've suggested he brings his. The bins will definitely help and I've a laser pointer to use if needed and allowed (it's under 1). They all know I image just think it's piqued their interest. 

21 minutes ago, ShrewView said:

So with your gear and expertise a few short choice shots would I'm sure go down really well and as you'll have your bins handy you can challenge them to maybe even find the objects you're shooting. Good luck 

Thank you, I'm beginning to think it can work, with the use of sky safari too can work. Definitely get the chairs out to point out constellations and maybe the ISS. 

21 minutes ago, Elp said:

Another option is to use a flip diagonal, eyepiece goes into top tube, camera in tube in line with telescope. So you can change between visual and imaging literally with the flip of a switch. I use it quite often as sometimes I like doing both

22 minutes ago, Elp said:

When viewing just be firm that they are NOT TO TOUCH THE TELESCOPE

I like the sound of the flip diagonal, I shall have to investigate more on this. I've never heard of one before. 

No one touches my scope except me and I'm the biggest clumsy baffoon there is 😂

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Haha, I like that 😂. I'm going to pitch the idea to sky sports now 😂, on your suggestion of another scope I'd love to have another scope to set up, another az gti mount and scope would be great. One of my partner friends bf has a scope so I've suggested he brings his. The bins will definitely help and I've a laser pointer to use if needed and allowed (it's under 1). They all know I image just think it's piqued their interest. 

I'm just imaging golf style commentary now over an imaging session and its starting to catch on in my head haha.

But I do think its a good plan. getting people interested in space starts with doing simple things like this and showing them whats possible from your garden. Combining imaging with a visual scope, binos and naked eye viewing cant do any harm. Tell them to wrap up warm beforehand and have some warm drinks on tap as well and it should make a great night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

I like the sound of the flip diagonal, I shall have to investigate more on this. I've never heard of one before. 

No one touches my scope except me and I'm the biggest clumsy baffoon there is 😂

This is the one I've got, haven't had an issue with it:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/diagonals/vixen-flip-mirror.html

Telescope handling any visual observer will tell you is "visual observing no no 101"

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, CloudMagnet said:

I'm just imaging golf style commentary now over an imaging session and its starting to catch on in my head haha.

But I do think its a good plan. getting people interested in space starts with doing simple things like this and showing them whats possible from your garden. Combining imaging with a visual scope, binos and naked eye viewing cant do any harm. Tell them to wrap up warm beforehand and have some warm drinks on tap as well and it should make a great night.

I am just imagining the dear Peter Aliss commentating on this, what a treat that would be 😂. Hopefully the get together will make the people interested and even more into astronomy, seeing things that can't always be seen by the eye. Hopefully the chap with the alt az scope will bring his. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Elp said:

This is the one I've got, haven't had an issue with it:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/diagonals/vixen-flip-mirror.html

Telescope handling any visual observer will tell you is "visual observing no no 101"

That's a nifty bit of kit indeed. Not sure how it would work with my FF, spacers and 294mc pro, there would be a lot more hanging off the back of the scope for me 😬

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

I know.

Don't think you can use a flattener with it. The large diameter opening clamps within the back end of my WOZ61. The main box houses the flip mirror, the two long tubes screw off so you can adjust your backfocus accordingly but you'd have to do some research. I found it was very useful when observing and imaging the planets. You can find flip mirrors on the back of some SCT/Mak type telescopes.

• Thanks 1