Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Rgb

Allinthehead

Hi all,

I was lucky enough to have a clear night last Saturday and decided to revisit Orion.

I captured 5 hrs in 120 second subs at gain 0 with the Asi2600mc and Tak Epsilon 160ed

Mounted on an AzEq6. 

Processed in Pixinsight, APP and PS.

Richard.

Orionrgbfinal.png

• Like 31

Very nice Richard. Good use of our minuscule weather windows. Love the dynamic range in true color with no posterization of the core region. Do you find much of a difference between gain 0 and gain 100 in the individual subs or in the overall stack? Curious to know from your experience if high sub numbers counter slightly higher noise at gain 0 for any target, only only the brighter ones. Fingers crossed for a few clear hours over the weekend maybe.

11 hours ago, GalaxyGael said:

Very nice Richard. Good use of our minuscule weather windows. Love the dynamic range in true color with no posterization of the core region. Do you find much of a difference between gain 0 and gain 100 in the individual subs or in the overall stack? Curious to know from your experience if high sub numbers counter slightly higher noise at gain 0 for any target, only only the brighter ones. Fingers crossed for a few clear hours over the weekend maybe.

Thanks Colm, It's been poor lately but clear again tonight😃. I'm going to image with gain 0 for a while as every time I do I find the colour improves and fwhm is always lower. My sub lengths are longer which means less wasted time imaging and shorter stacking times are another bonus. Worth trying for a while I think.

High sub numbers won't counter the added read noise at gain 0 but longer subs will so long as the read noise is swamped by signal.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Shibby said:

Excellent - fine detail and you've handled the core very nicely.

Much appreciated thanks.

3 hours ago, Adam1234 said:

Very nice

Thanks Adam.

2 hours ago, Craig a said:

Breathtaking Orion, one of the best I’ve seen this winter season 

Thanks Craig, very nice of you to say.

26 minutes ago, Tom OD said:

Excellent pic. Beautifully processed. Nice core and all. Great job. 

Thank you Tom, Shadows and highlights in PS helped with the core.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks Colm, It's been poor lately but clear again tonight😃. I'm going to image with gain 0 for a while as every time I do I find the colour improves and fwhm is always lower. My sub lengths are longer which means less wasted time imaging and shorter stacking times are another bonus. Worth trying for a while I think.

High sub numbers won't counter the added read noise at gain 0 but longer subs will so long as the read noise is swamped by signal.

Good to know. On the f/5.5 632 mm fl refractor on the go now, 300s subs cover the read noise easily at gain 100, likely at gain 0 with my bright sky. Fwhm on my best nights here on this scope are 2.8 or 2.9". Improving that a little is worth a try, although I'll likely change over to the new scope once this target (ever) gets done. Tonight surprise clear sky is nice. 

What's on the menu if the scope is out at work? 

Edited by GalaxyGael
should read gain 100, not gain 109

Nice cluster. You must have a good view of the south. I've got north and east, and straight up! Trying to add more time to a region in Auriga between M38 cluster across to the spider and fly nebula regions until it goes behind the housetop. Remaining hours if clouds stay away on the whale galaxy.

• Like 1

It was clear from 9pm until 12.30am when M38 and friends hit the roof. I slewed to get more data on the whale and hockey stick galaxy combo for the remainder. when I checked this morning, there were only 26 x 300 s subs, and it was cloudy, so must have clouded over before 3 am maybe. I left the sound on the laptop on by mistake, hope the dongs from Phd2 lost guiding didn't annoy anyone!

Good to see you got one pane complete, looking forward to seeing teh arrangmement. The chrismas cluster always look great in deep OSC images, like the elephant trunk. Very colorful, and very different to NB. Thursday is 79% moon, but looks clear all night so far....

Playing with the whale galaxy stack right now. The 11.25 hr integration is worse than the 9 hour one, those 26 subs did something, but didnt look strange when looking at sub weighting, so I ditched them and using the 9hr stack instead. One of the last two targets on this scope before the 130Ed gets first light.

• Like 1