Going back to Mono..

Hi y'all - happy snow day.

With the announcement of the 533MM Pro, I have made the decision to flop back to Monochrome imaging. I had the 183MC, then the 183MM and then the 533MC, and now the 2600MC.

My past experience with monochrome imaging was nightmare-ish. Went to the 533 and 2600 and have been really happy! The cameras themselves have been excellent, however the 2600 has revealed some large rings in my setup not previously seen on an smaller-than-APSC sensors. It is minor, but there is usually a nearly FOV sized ring in my images that does not go away in flats. Must be a reflection, no idea.

Anyway - my thought of the new system are this.

ZWO ASI533MM Pro
31mm Astronomik's SHO 6nm
31mm CLS CCD filter for Luminance (I know this isn't technically correct, but my EDT is not perfectly color corrected and this compensates enough for me to not notice)
31mm Deep-Sky RGB Filters
ZWO 8-pos 31mm EFW

I already have an OAG, and spacers so I think I am good there.

Anyone on the outside looking in, have opinions or comments on something I should consider?

Budget is 2500 OTD - with a contingency for $300 more.

4 hours ago, FiveByEagle said:

Hi y'all - happy snow day.

With the announcement of the 533MM Pro, I have made the decision to flop back to Monochrome imaging. I had the 183MC, then the 183MM and then the 533MC, and now the 2600MC.

My past experience with monochrome imaging was nightmare-ish. Went to the 533 and 2600 and have been really happy! The cameras themselves have been excellent, however the 2600 has revealed some large rings in my setup not previously seen on an smaller-than-APSC sensors. It is minor, but there is usually a nearly FOV sized ring in my images that does not go away in flats. Must be a reflection, no idea.

Anyway - my thought of the new system are this.

ZWO ASI533MM Pro
31mm Astronomik's SHO 6nm
31mm CLS CCD filter for Luminance (I know this isn't technically correct, but my EDT is not perfectly color corrected and this compensates enough for me to not notice)
31mm Deep-Sky RGB Filters
ZWO 8-pos 31mm EFW

I already have an OAG, and spacers so I think I am good there.

Anyone on the outside looking in, have opinions or comments on something I should consider?

Budget is 2500 OTD - with a contingency for $300 more.

You don't need 31mm filters and the way astronomik mount them there is nearly no difference to 1.25 inch in terms of clear aperture, 1.25 inch will be easier to handle and mount and will work just as well as 31 on a sensor the size of a 533. 

Edited by Adam J

You mentioned a FOV sized ring that flats don’t deal with. What does the rest of your setup comprise of? I’m taking about everything forward of the sensor ie Filters and sizes, scope,  flattener/reducer, focuser if not the scope’s standard one etc.

The only FOV sized ring I have ever heard of is vignetting but I’m expecting you know enough about what you are doing to recognise that when you see it. If it’s associated only with the full frame sensor then I’d guess it’s a rig incomparability with such a big sensor. 

Edited by PadrePeace

Your introduction and list of cameras suggests you are committed to this hobby. I would always advise to future proof your investment where possible and affordable. The 533 sensor is not to everyone’s taste being square and you may decide to change to an APS-C Mono Camera (once reflection resolved) when you will find you need 36mm filters. Might I suggest you future proof your filter/filter wheel choice to 36mm filters. I have a full set of 36mm Astronomik 6nm/ Lrgb filters and they are an excellent product.