Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kelling Heath Autumn Skycamp 20th - 27th September 2022

I can now confirm I am going. I booked T118 last year but as I had an aorta valve replacement 6 weeks ago it looked touch and go.

Making a good recovery and selecting kit based on weight and ease of lifting as I have a magnificent scar down my sternum where they went in with the angle grinder or panel saw...then stapled it up with an upholstery gun.. 😉

See you all there...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, baggywrinkle said:

I can now confirm I am going. I booked T118 last year but as I had an aorta valve replacement 6 weeks ago it looked touch and go.

Making a good recovery and selecting kit based on weight and ease of lifting as I have a magnificent scar down my sternum where they went in with the angle grinder or panel saw...then stapled it up with an upholstery gun.. 😉

See you all there...

Great news take it easy and see you there.

Steve

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

hi chaps, does anyone know if it's ok to sell yer old gear there ?

seems like it would be a good place to stick a table of stuff in from of my motorhome - save postage, and make easier to sell/buy big stuff like old mounts, etc ?

stu

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, powerlord said:

seems like it would be a good place to stick a table of stuff in from of my motorhome - save postage, and make easier to sell/buy big stuff like old mounts, etc ?

stu

Hi Stu,

I have never been but understand this is pretty normal and often good to advertise a couple of weeks earlier and mention you will be at Kelling so it can be picked up if somebody that is going buys it, or lives in the area.
I am hoping to do the same if I can get to my gear soon as garage is full of laminate flooring and loft insulation waiting to be fitted when I get the time 😞 

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang

On 15/08/2022 at 13:21, Mayank Rathi said:

HI! I am new to this SGL. Also i have never been to any star-fest but recently been visiting Liverpool astronomical society. I don't have a car . Is there any carpool groups for the upcoming star-gazing events? Thanks

I think some do share cars, or motorhomes but I do not know of any official site for car sharing.
I think one issue for me is that only having a car I struggle to get all my gear in as well as myself so not really much in the way of room to spare, people with caravans or motorhomes may have more room to spare.
Quite often getting booked into some of these events is harder as they are often full very early on (and with covid cancelling them for a year or two many were very near full before they were announced as many just rolled their bookings over).
Are you actually booked into any specific event yet ? or is it that you dare not book an event without knowing you have transport ?
If you don't have any gear as such but just wanting to meet other astronomers then maybe the train is viable to get within a few miles of the site and then I am sure somebody on SGL could pick you up from a nearby station, just a thought.

Steve

1 hour ago, powerlord said:

stu

Yes, it's fine.  You can put i things on a blanket on the floor or take a table or two, many people do this, I've done it myself.  You can do it at any time but there will be more potential customers around when the trade stands are set up on the final Saturday.  

• Like 2

I'll be attending from Sept 20th to 27th along with Andy from The Astronomy Centre  nr Todmorden.  Pitch T138.  You can't miss it, Andy usually erects a 30 foot aerial.  We are not TV addicts -  Andy is a radio ham. 🙂.

I'll be taking along  my  Celestron Starsense Explorer 8 inch Dob.  So if anyone is thinking of buying this game changing scope, pop along and we can arrange a time so you can see it in action.

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 1

I've just been looking at the website for the event and the holiday camp itself, and there's mention of a discount for attendees if you mention that you're going for the star party.  Does anyone know how much it is per night for a tent w/o electric?

• Like 1

We have a caravan pitch with electric hook up, and it's a biit pver£100 for 7 nights if I remember correctly, so it is presumably less than this.  The discounts are really good.

Though, I'd be surprised if there was a pitch available at this late stage.

10 hours ago, Wikiastro said:

I've just been looking at the website for the event and the holiday camp itself, and there's mention of a discount for attendees if you mention that you're going for the star party.  Does anyone know how much it is per night for a tent w/o electric?

I paid £20 per night for a fully serviced premium pitch but as Paul said I doubt there will be any vacancies for this year, although there may always be some late cancellations I guess as things happen we cannot control.

Steve

On 03/02/2022 at 16:46, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Is anybody going to Kelling in September ?

Steve

I will be going for the weekend of 24/25th and would be really good to meet some of you. I am on T276. There should also be some folk from my local society - Chesterfield.

Regards
Matthew

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...