Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Computer

Rodd

It finally happened=--my laptop died and I replaced it.  Now the work starts and its totally overwhelming.  I have a list of 19 software packages I use that I have to download with their associated drivers.  I am not a computer person--not sure where to start.  Some of them were purchase licenses like Pixinsight, Maxim DL, etc.  Others are patches like using the lodestar 2x with Maxim DL--I think I needed a special driver for that--like a patch.  Does it matter what order I download stuff in?  Should I let the download dictate the folder to keep stuff in, or should I create my own directory structure.   I was ha[ppyu for abpoyt 10 minutes when I got teh new laptop (not even here yet--coming today), then I realized the tghink will be totally useless until UI find all the stuff I need to download.

Advise most welcome!!!

4 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

have not watched this but it might help, no idea really though

Yes--remote operation would be great--but I am definitely not ready to try that NOW--maybe after I get up and running again I will look into it.  No internet connection at scope though--so there are limitations.

What died on the laptop ??  I know you say that you are not a 'computer person', but if possible remove the old disk drive and using a suitable interface, copy its contents to the new computer, especially all the user settings, data etc. then at least you'll then have an "aid memoir" of what needs to be re-installed on the new computer.

39 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

have not watched this but it might help, no idea really though 🙂

9 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

What died on the laptop ??  I know you say that you are not a 'computer person', but if possible remove the old disk drive and using a suitable interface, copy its contents to the new computer, especially all the user settings, data etc. then at least you'll then have an "aid memoir" of what needs to be re-installed on the new computer.

Good idea--beyond me.  Jut to open the darn thing I need to purchase torx tools.  I don't want any directory files and stuff from the old one anywhere near the new computer--viruses, worms etc...I am sure the thing is loaded with stuff.  Images are OK though.  I don't have internet at teh mount--but I do in the house, and my security aptitude is as lacking as my technical aptitude.  I have to turn off firewall to operate my rig--updates as well.  Many times I have gone out to teh mount at 2:00am to dfind the computer rebooted.  So I leave all of it off.

Edited by Rodd

31 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

oh ok, I assumed it would be installing 90% of what you'd need anyway.

I watched it--now I am doubly overwhelmed!!!!  I would need to buy a bunch of stuff....teh budget is maxed out.  I just need to get the laptop up and running like my old one.  that worked well enough for me

Hi @Rodd good luck with that job, you may be in for a ride!

I've just rebuilt a mini PC with a full image capture stack, but there's very little overlap in our equipment sets so my detailed steps will be of very little use to you. As general advice though, I'd say:

- Separate image capture from image processing, and get them working separately rather than all together. I'd suggest capture first and test it, then do your processing software and test it.
- A good rule when configuring computers like this is to make one change at a time then test it thoroughly. At least you know what went wrong. If you install everything together in one go you will have no idea why it doesn't work.
- As Julian says, write a list of everything you need to install, and the pre-requisites for each as best as you can remember. If something goes wrong, you may need to retrace your steps or even start from scratch, and having a master list of requirements is important.
- Usually, install drivers first then the application. Let the installer decide which directories to use, so if you need to report issues to the various forums, you know where everything is.
- I have a directory called 'Install' where I download all of the installers, and keep them for future use. The installer name will usually include the version number, but add it if it doesn't.
- Do as much of this in the house as possible, where you have a comfortable seat, a cup of tea and reliable internet. Try to take as many variables out of the loop as possible so you know that any errors you find are to do with what you've done, and not some random coincidence. You might even find that bringing your mount head indoors might make things simpler.

I had to refine my list a few times as I built the mini PC. Then when I was finished, I blanked the disk and did a full reinstall using the final version of the list. Not essential, but it means that there's no **** hanging around from failed installs and second attempts etc.

8 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

As Julian says, write a list of everything you need to install, and the pre-requisites for each as best as you can remember. If something goes wrong, you may need to retrace your steps or even start from scratch, and having a master list of requirements is important.

Not sure what requirements there would be.  All teh software I use does not need a very advanced computer--it all worked on my old one and that was many generations behind the new one in all respects--Pixinsight is the exception--they say it needs huge computer potential (but it worked on my old one too).  They want 64mb RAM, the best processor (2 acutally) and linux.  But its not needed.  I got an extremely powerful processor, 16 mb RAM, a TB of SSD storage, a higher end graphics card--certainly more than enough for capture software and camera/focuser/flatman, etc control.  

I do not want to bring my mount inside--I do not want to lose orientation and PA--not to mention talikng the entire optocal train apart.  I should be able to just download what I need--I do have a list, but its still overwhelming--especially when there are licenses involved.  

17 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

I've just rebuilt a mini PC with a full image capture stack, but there's very little overlap in our equipment sets so my detailed steps will be of very little use to you.

What could be so different?  I have Nina, SGP and Maxim DL (I want to switch to Nina but do not have internet for plate solving).  Everything else is all teh same stuff--focus comntroller, camera, filterwheel, mount, etc, etc.....brand names don't matter much

Edited by Rodd

First off, you should not need to disable any firewalls etc. especially to get remote access, therefore there are some configuration changes that need to be made to allow appropriate access...

As for get at old data, you would need to but something like this external disk drive adapter (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363196049057) and torx sets e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124914309681 are getting more useful, and as long as you've not disabled the in-built anti-virus tools etc. then there should be no issues reading/copying data from the old drive !! 

7 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

First off, you should not need to disable any firewalls etc. especially to get remote access, therefore there are some configuration changes that need to be made to allow appropriate access...

As for get at old data, you would need to but something like this external disk drive adapter (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363196049057) and torx sets e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124914309681 are getting more useful, and as long as you've not disabled the in-built anti-virus tools etc. then there should be no issues reading/copying data from the old drive !! 

The problem was my computer wanted to update all the time--and then less frequently, but even when I would say not now, there were many times when I was not at the mount it would decide to do it in the middle of an imaging run.  It happened several times.  So I disabled everything.  I had to disable the firewall becuase it was blocking software from perfroming necessary tasks.  I don't know if I disabled the internal virus protection.  If turning off tehe forewall did that--then its off.  If I had to know what I was doing--then no--it is not off. 

But I really do not need any old files--I will lose my recent M109 project--but just luminance.  Everything else is backed up on external SSD drives.  Its the downloading of the software and drivers that I find overwhelming.  Settings in teh various softwares I can do--I remember what things need to be checked. 

Remember--I am not a computer person--this entire operation to me is like water to a moth.  I hate it.  I just want to capture and process.  Its kind of like driving--I just want to drive, I don't want to have to to replace the timeing belt and brake pads and diagnose an electrical problem in teh fuse box.  I am a driver.   I guess I need a pit staff, eh? 

20 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Not sure what requirements there would be.  All teh software I use does not need a very advanced computer--it all worked on my old one and that was many generations behind the new one in all respects--Pixinsight is the exception--they say it needs huge computer potential (but it worked on my old one too).  They want 64mb RAM, the best processor (2 acutally) and linux.  But its not needed.  I got an extremely powerful processor, 16 mb RAM, a TB of SSD storage, a higher end graphics card--certainly more than enough for capture software and camera/focuser/flatman, etc control.  

I do not want to bring my mount inside--I do not want to lose orientation and PA--not to mention talikng the entire optocal train apart.  I should be able to just download what I need--I do have a list, but its still overwhelming--especially when there are licenses involved.  

I mean software requirements. If you install ASTAP for plate solving, it requires a star database etc. I'm assuming that your new PC is capable of running everything if the old PC could do it.

My own list consisted of:

- ASCOM 6.5 SP1
--- MS .net framework v3.5 (required by ASCOM)
- PhD2 V2.6.10
--- Configure equipment profile, and build Dark library
- ASTAP
- ASTAP Star Database H18
- Stellarium
--- Configure the Remote Control plug-in and enable the web server
- EQMOD
- PrimaLuceLab Sesto Senso focuser driver and software application
- Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox Advance driver and software application
- Ascom Switch driver for PPBA (to integrate with NINA)
- ZWO ASCOM driver (All ASCOM drivers)
- ZWO ASI Camera Drivers (ZWO native drivers)
- NINA 2.0 Beta 026
--- Download the Sky Atlas Image Repository  and configure NINA to point to install directory
--- Configure NINA including equipment profile etc.

I don't have any SBIG cameras and I don't use SGP or MaximDL.

I don't think it will be a case of just downloading everything then off to the obsy - while you may not need the internet to install software, in my experience you will always need to download another program/another version/look up the documentation while you are installing, and you need the internet for that. 

6 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

I don't think it will be a case of just downloading everything then off to the obsy - while you may not need the internet to install software, in my experience you will always need to download another program/another version/look up the documentation while you are installing, and you need the internet for that. 

I have internet at home.  When I downloaded PHD2--it was easy--no sweat.  Same for most things I use.  Its more the pay ones that I refer to--I use ZWO now--not SBIG (selling that camera).  So we are similar there.  I will hold off on Nina, and SGP.  What I really need is Maxim DL, Cartes Du Ceil, ASCOM, Astrophysics mount, RAPAS, Focus controller (starligh instrumemnts BOSS II), Flat panel, ZWO camera/filterwheel, Lodestars 2x, PHD2, and Pixinsight.

Its getting easier just talking to you....still, I have learned that frustratiion is commonplace in thuis endeavor.  I guess I am shell shocked.

Now you're getting there! 

3 minutes ago, Rodd said:

frustratiion is commonplace

Why do you think I recommended a cup of tea earlier?? 🙂

Step 1 - relax and think it through.

Edited by Padraic M

9 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

Now you're getting there! 

Why do you think I recommended a cup of tea earlier?? 🙂

Step 1 - relax and think it through.

thats when I get into trouble....like I figured since I have to start from scratch with a new computer, maybe it would be a good time to fix the things I don't like--like switching from Maxim DL to Nina.  A friend set up nina on my old computer--all set to go--the problem is it would not plate solve without an internet connection (either he did not know how to get it to do it, or my hard drive didn't have the space needed for the catalogue).   His fix was to get a long ethernet cable and hook my computer at the mount up to my modem in teh house.  A 200 foot long cable snaking through the house out to my rig in the far back yard everytime I image is not an attractive solution to me.  Buying a WIFI booster is spending more money and not really knowing if it would work.

Edited by Rodd

3 minutes ago, Rodd said:

would not plate solve without an internet connection

It certainly can be done - I would need to check, but I think astrometry.net is the only plate solver that uses internet access (and even that can be installed locally). ASTAP and PS2 work fine without Internet. NINA lets you pick with plate solver(s) to use. 

7 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

It certainly can be done - I would need to check, but I think astrometry.net is the only plate solver that uses internet access (and even that can be installed locally). ASTAP and PS2 work fine without Internet. NINA lets you pick with plate solver(s) to use. 

I know--and he supposedly set it to not use teh internet, but it would not work.  He tried for a couple of hours to no avail.  Not sure why.  Its kind of like DNA--one little code out of place and nothing works.  There are so many things that have to mesh.  The concept of a self contained device that is set to to do everything that one can set up at the mount sounds great.  The different pieces of equipment in this (I hate to say hobby, for it is certainly more than that for me)--shoul be designed together.  I think the EAGLE systems are starting to do just that

I’ve just gone through this as well, following laptop failure. I went with a mini pc for my observatory (shed) rather than another laptop as it was cheaper and certainly meets my needs.

I set as much software as I could with the pc running in the house, and then used ASCOM simulators to test as much as I could. There’s a very useful YouTube video that explains how to set this up. The focus is on learning to use various packages, but it works just as well as learning to use simulators to test software. 

The internet connection to my obsy runs over mains cables, you don’t say whether you have mains power at your setup, but it’s worth looking at if you do. Then again, whilst I can see the disadvantages of using a long Ethernet cable, it would at least give you a temporary solution whilst you get everything set up and working, especially if you can borrow one.

4 minutes ago, dwc said:

The internet connection to my obsy runs over mains cables, you don’t say whether you have mains power at your setup, but it’s worth looking at if you do. Then again, whilst I can see the disadvantages of using a long Ethernet cable, it would at least give you a temporary solution whilst you get everything set up and working, especially if you can borrow one.

I don't have internet at the scope at all--been imaging for years without it.  I am in no way an automation guy.  Everything is manual. Besudes--its below 20 degrees these days outside--not computer fiddleimng temperature for sure.   I just got my Maxim DL license emaild to me again--so that should be good.  Once Maxim is on, PHD@ is a simple download.  The drivers will be put on first in the house.  It mnay require a few trips back and forth, but it should work.  The biggest concern is getting the right drivers from ZWO, Starlight Xpress, and the powered hub I use.  The others should be ok.  Still--it sucks  

• Like 2