Narrowband

Rcx 400 10

Hi guys I’ve read on other forums that you can add a manual focus on the Rcx because the run away focus on Rcx on goto is a bit rubbish has any buddy added manual focus button on there Rcx and if so how do you go about it thanks rob.

Hi Rob

I guess you're talking about a Meade 10" RCX-400 ?

I think any SCT Crayford / Zero Shift type focuser should fit onto the OTA rear port.

The problem is the RCX is missing the focuser socket on the control panel that most other Meade SCTs have.

So you will need a handbox for it, or a focuser that has an ASCOM connection to allow control from a PC.

Michael

Hi Michael thanks for getting back about the scope I got the skyfi 3 and downloaded the scope boss app I set all up using the directions IP address and port number connection with Rs232 Wi-Fi adapter no joy would not connect to scope I tried for weeks can’t get it to work so I decided to contact a dealer in England to fix my handset he’s waiting on lcd display chip coming in I can’t use scope as you no focused on Rcx is on handset so I can’t do manual observing as I can’t focus that’s why I asked the question thanks rob 

I run my LX200GPS with a HiLink WiFi  RS232 Adapter plugged into the mount's RS232 socket, and ScopeBoss on an iPhone.

Try reversing TX and RX.

For a PC to a mount connection with a USB to Serial converter, TX and RX are wired one way.

For a mount to a RS232 adapter I found I had to reverse, then it worked.

Michael

Edited by michael8554

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Michael just an update on skyfi and Rcx setup I got it working as you said just a cable switch but I’ve noticed the it won’t save time it saves date and location but when I go to date it goes back to some default time I put time in again hit enter then when I check time again it’s back to default 😡any ideas cheers rob 

Hello. We had the same telescope at college, and it was nothing but trouble from the moment we got it. Same goes for the 20”.. See my profile photo. Firmware and mechanical problems all the time. So much so that the 10” is now junk, and we are looking for a buyer for the 20”. But as Meade stopped making them awhile ago, and has since gone bankrupt, It’ll probably go the way of the 10” . Sorry to be so negative, but there you go.. hope you manage to sort out your problems. 

Hi Mike the scope works fine it’s the handset that pact in so I downloaded the scope boss app to work with the skyfi app it works well but it won’t register the current time so it’s a small problem but a big one when it comes to telescopes will keep working on it and just get a bit off luck with it thanks rob 

1 hour ago, Virgo man said:

Hi Michael I don’t have the handset it broken but it’s working fine with the scope boss app apart from the time setting but I haven’t updated the firmware how do I get the update firmware to scope 👍

Have you updated the firmware since 2019 ?

Is GPS  enabled ?

Michael

I haven’t updated the firmware at all I only got this scope in August last year gps was working fine with the handset but as I was working with it the other night with scope boss it was taking long time to get gps fix I ended up giving up with scope the gps is not enabled thanks 

Hi I think with the handset failing I could not get replacement so went for scope boss app and skyfi 3 I tried a run the other night with my Rcx it contacted to scope ok it was just the time it could not get  maybe gps was not contacted or something else the scope boss app is different from handset when you are trying to enter a reset it doesn’t come up to save so will have to look far more info it cheers rob 

If in August the scope was showing correct year with GPS on (not something crazy like 2099) then firmware is up to date.

But as you now have GPS off the firmware version isn't relevant.

ScopeBoss faithfully replicates the Autostar II handbox.

I have my LX200GPS  Parked, and GPS off.

So with GPS disabled, when you power up and connect with ScopeBoss:

Next screen in ScopeBoss is DST.  I always have DST off.

Next is Time. The mount doesn't remember the time, so you have to input if GPS is off.

HH:MM:SS, then ENTER,   I input GMT as I always have DST off.

Next is Date. You have to input if GPS is off.  

20 February 2020, then ENTER.

There's an option in ScopeBoss to reload the menus from the mount, takes about a minute.

RESET at your peril, it wipes ALL your mount settings, the mount thinks it's location is back at the factory in USA.

Michael

Hi Michael sorry never got back sooner but had family problems just a question on scope parked if you park scope you can still take it off tripod after night observing to put back in garage or do you keep your lx200 in tact under cover or canopy sorry about question but I’ve always had celestrone cpc telescopes never Meade especially Rcx thanks rob

Mine's permanently mounted.

You can PARK in the default position, or in a Custom Position.

Note the Dec reading on the Dec scale,  and make a mark on some sticky tape stuck to the mount next to the RA alignment marks on the forks.

Then you can loosen Dec and RA if helps with dismounting.

Then next time remount, reposition RA and Dec, and switch on.

Input Time, Date, and then PA.

GOTO, centre on a star near your Target, and SYNCH.

Michael