Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mounting ST102 on AZ5

Within another thread I spotted @rwilkey had posted a pic of his wife's scope on AZ5. I have sent pm but he maybe has not seen it. My question is, how has this been mounted on the AZ5?  Mine is attached using the original rings and a small astro essentials dovetail from FLO as recommended. Obviously I cannot see the other side of the pic so thought I would ask as it looks a lot neater and presumably reduces weight. I see no points on the OTA for me to do this so does it involve some drilling? Hope rwilkey does not mind me reposting his pic. 

image.png.cdcb5b1accce68f328a18a09935bfb86.png

• Like 1

I used to have this setup. 

If I remember correctly there is a small dovetail attached directly to the OTA with a couple of small nuts and bolts.

You could do this yourself if you removed the focuser module. When I put an upgraded focuser on (which was much heavier) I had to move the dovetail to the rear of the OTA so that the scope would balance properly. That involved removing the focuser module, drilling a couple of holes and moving the dovetail.

The only sticking point I can think of might be the 'built on' dovetail may have had a curved surface so that it mated snugly with the tube.

Malcolm

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

I used to have this setup. 

If I remember correctly there is a small dovetail attached directly to the OTA with a couple of small nuts and bolts.

You could do this yourself if you removed the focuser module. When I put an upgraded focuser on (which was much heavier) I had to move the dovetail to the rear of the OTA so that the scope would balance properly. That involved removing the focuser module, drilling a couple of holes and moving the dovetail.

The only sticking point I can think of might be the 'built on' dovetail may have had a curved surface so that it mated snugly with the tube.

Malcolm

Thanks . Deffo no dovetail attached to this version. No holes / screws - nothing.  I just have the rings. Thinking of adding the focuser too and appreciate that is again more weight. I still have room for manoeuvre though on the small dovetail. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Richard_B said:

It looks to be the same OTA as the one that they supply with the AZ GTE mount which as mentioned above has a small dovetail bolted directly to the tube

I think you have nailed it there.  Not wishing to start drilling I will stick with the rings then.  Thank you

• Like 1

On 02/02/2022 at 11:12, Starslayer said:

Mine

IMG_8183.JPG

Hi @Starslayer, I'm considering a similar setup to use as a G&G and thinking the ST102 AZ5 set from FLO and debating swapping in a 1.5" or a 2" diagonal, for my 2" accessories.

How do you find that the stock focuser handles the weight of the 2" EPs ect? Adequate or something you feel you'd want to update sooner rather than later?

10 hours ago, Daf said:

Hi @Starslayer, I'm considering a similar setup to use as a G&G and thinking the ST102 AZ5 set from FLO and debating swapping in a 1.5" or a 2" diagonal, for my 2" accessories.

How do you find that the stock focuser handles the weight of the 2" EPs ect? Adequate or something you feel you'd want to update sooner rather than later?

The original was ok once balanced. Yesterday I swapped it out for the Crayford one. Boy was that a tight fit!  It is much heavier too but all balances ok. What I did forget is that he new focuser does not have a finder shoe!  Idiot boy!  Another order pending. 

• Thanks 1