Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Askar or other lens for dslr widefield AP

Elp

Been wondering whether it's worth getting an Askar fma180 for my dslr to use as a secondary setup for widefield, not too sure about the lens quality. It'll be on an Omegon LX tracker which I've found to be quite good for unguided tracking.

Open to suggestions for other lenses other than the usual Samyang/Rokinon, even older prime lenses.

Camera is an IR modded Canon 600d.

15 minutes ago, Elp said:

Been wondering whether it's worth getting an Askar fma180 for my dslr to use as a secondary setup for widefield, not too sure about the lens quality. It'll be on an Omegon LX tracker which I've found to be quite good for unguided tracking.

Open to suggestions for other lenses other than the usual Samyang/Rokinon, even older prime lenses.

Camera is an IR modded Canon 600d.

I have an FMA 180 and it's a good choice in combination with a dedicated astronomy camera, but can't help but think that if you are wanting to use it purely with a DSLR the. The speed of a Samyang 135 would be the best way to go. The difference in focal length between 135 and 180 is more significant than you may imaging in terms of detail gathered though and the ASKAR is much sharper unless you throttle the Samyang right back. 

Adam 

I have got the option of using zwo cameras. I was considering the askar as it's multi purpose, it's also light compared to a DSLR lens. Do you not get bloated/blue shifted stars with the fma180 as that was putting me off reading various threads?