Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Collimation

IMG_20220128_182818.thumb.jpg.15d4c5b7fcf096b57a3f264082383f76.jpgHi all, complete beginner here looking for some confirmation on my new dob 8inch telescope being in collimation, here are some pics from what I can see through a collimation cap, I've adjusted the primary mirrors slightly to hopefully get it done.

Edited by Sparta
No pic attached

The black dot needs to be dead centre its a tad out just adjust your primary a bit. I recommend a Cheshire/ Sight tube. 

On a second close up look it looks like the secondary needs moving just a bit down the tube. 

Edited by wookie1965

Thanks for the replies, I was hoping I didn't have to interfere with the secondary mirror, cos like I said, I am I complete novice to this, so if I understand right, does it need moving to align it with the primary mirror?

I am wary about making an assessment from a camera shot as parallax errors can make a big difference to what you can see. When it comes to alignment of the secondary, I would recommend using a Cheshire eyepiece and sight tube combination tool. This will explain what you are looking for…

https://astro.catshill.com/collimation-guide/

A couple of things look not quite right to me.  The small black dot should be centered on the cross formed by the spider and the third  mirror clip is not showing.

Maybe a bit of a rotational tweak of the secondary and a final one of the primary will put it right.   🙂  

Adjusting the secondary mirror was always my worry, as I find then i try to adjust the centre screw, it's very locked in, and I'm afraid of breaking the spider veins as there is alot of tension, I noticed the same adjusting locks around the scope at the top of the primary, so they need to be unlocked before unscrewing the the secondary mirror?IMG_20220129_150203.thumb.jpg.2605b7c92942bbfd02e5f7f9b3881a9f.jpg

25 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

For this  focal ratio the reflection of the cap Isn’t supposed to be in the centre. I ran into the same thing with my Stella Lyra Dobsonian 8”. See attached 

71602D9F-2F2D-4AA9-8139-F4B940575BF5.png.4fb2e0227ef44ca14d32ae0ea4f6117b.png

Oh right, yes, I can see how I could make that mistake, I was thinking the the reflection of the cap and to be dead centre also, ok so I think an adjustment of the secondary should get me closer if needing so, the primary alignment part is not so hard, I just have a collimation cap to work with.

The dark offset secondary reflection is “pointing “ at 4 o’clock and should be at 3 o’clock (explained in the link I posted above) but without the sight tube as a reference point it’s difficult to give a judgment.  If your cap shows your primary is aligned (again explained in the guide) then I think you are good.